7900GS vs. 7900GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bet you forum lurkers right now are thinking "wow, nitestick......asking a question" ;)

well basically i've never been greatly knowledgable of graphics cards and i've grown out of touch in the latter part of the year with final exams etc. i completely missed the 7900GS's release. christmas is just around the corner and i have ~$300 at my disposal. now i've been looking at the 79XX series, minus the ridiculous 7950GX2. the cheapest price i can get for a 7900gs is $256 for an XpertVision. i can get a Leadtek 256mb PX7900GT for ~$330 and a Leadtek 7950GT for ~$350. at the moment i'm leaning towards the 7900GT as i understand the 7950GT is basically just a filler for the range between GT and GTX and is just an overclocked GT core. the 7900GS has 4 less pixel pipelines than the GT and a clockspeed defecit but i hear it overclocks like a demon and i have a better than even probability of getting GT or better performance from one.

so my question is could y'all throw your opinions my way with any relevant info? :D

i'm planning on ordering this tonight so i can get it quick before christmas (remembering in west Oz we are basically a day ahead of you folks in the US)

THANKS!!!

I have a 7900GS its a great card but if you can afford the GT go for it ,pixel pipelines will always mean more than if the GS overclocked more. I would have got a GT my self but decided to put some money away for the 2nd versions of the G80.

It depends if you need it now! if so then get the 7900GS its a great card I play games like company of heroes, supreme commander beta, FEAR,half life 2 all on high resolution at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024 although I do have a E6600 to help as well. The only things I do leave off or down are AA and soft shadows both of which don't offer much in my personal opinion. Although if you have the patience and are not in a rush get the 7900GT it will offer an improvement.

thanks for the much valued experience mate :D. that is the sort of info they never put on the box. i think i shall be content with the GS and it's overclocking glory. i don't need the card ;). i'm just overcome with insatiable desire to upgrade. the other thing is i'm not the biggest fan of online shopping when things are in a similar price range at a real shop. some times though the online value is worth it. in general a 10 minute walk down the shops and having something in my hands beats a 2-10 day wait and hoping the courier or postal service doesn't mess up and that your money went to the correct place.

No Problem :) just take into account I have an E6600 and 2 gigs of ram so my settings might not match others so best wait for more feedback. The only games I have had trouble with are FEAR sometimes a few things need changing but most still on high.

Supreme commander beta can play on high at 1280x1024 I haven't tried it at 1600x1200 yet. Iv played it at medium too still looks nice :).

depends what you want with games, to play at 1280x1024 with settings on high or 1600x1200 with settings on medium to high, just about whats more important.

Anyway guess you`ll have to wait for the usual rush later when everyone bursts online in a few hours.

i woulda gone w/ the 7900GT, its real easy to voltmod and crank the overclock on it... mine owns F.E.A.R at high settings, i dont think a GS can do that. my buddy has a GS and its a solid card so dont look back if u already got it

i haven't purchased yet. i may do so in perhaps 12 hours though. that is the marvel that is missing the business day. not only can i wait for the rush on TF for opinions but i can also choose to order before the next business day if i change my mind. i don't know if i'll be a volt modder but i guess i probably will otherwise i wouldn't quite live up to my reputation.

so a 7900GS has a very good chance of basically owning a stock 7900GT when overclocked? how does the sort of average overclocked performance (at an overclock i can expect) fare against an average overclocked 7900GT?

Your topic is good timing, as I am in the process of wanting to build a PC myself.

I'm curious as to why you would not want to go with a 7950GT? the EVGA model is under $300 right now. Is it that you are wanting to stay specific to the Leadtek brand?

Go 7900GT, The extra pipelines will DEFINATELY help with future games and will make your card last longer....Think of the 7900GS as an overclocked 7800GT, its the same thing. If your short on cash i would stick with the 7900GS, but if you have the money then defiantely get the 7900GT, it will be worth it. also one word- voltmod!

also, ask Cwiz about his OCed 7900GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom