Windows XP counterfeit

Status
Not open for further replies.
ms has post a wga workaround as a lot of legit computer was marked counterfeit

but I bet the people at the shop put an illegal corperate disc on his computer. most small shops do that.

me? I give them their exact version so I can input their serial on it

I found it

EricB said:

Disable WGA Notifications
1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrative permissions.
2. Make sure that the WGA Notifications version that exists on the computer is a pilot version. The version format for the pilot version is 1.5.0532.x. In this case, you can uninstall versions 527-532 only. For example, you can uninstall versions that range from 1.5.0527.0 to 1.5.0532.2. To find the WGA Notifications version, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
b. Double-click Add or Remove Programs, locate and then click Windows XP - Software, then click Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, and then click Click here for support information.
c. In the Support Info dialog box, verify the version number, and then click Close.
3. Rename the following files by changing the extension to .old:
• Rename %Windir%\system32\WgaLogon.dll to %Windir%\system32\WgaLogon.old
• Rename %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.exe to %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.old
4. Restart the computer.
Back to the top Back to the top
Manually uninstall WGA Notifications
1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrative permissions.
2. Make sure that the WGA Notifications version that exists on the computer is a pilot version. The version format for the pilot version is 1.5.0532.x. In this case, you can uninstall versions 527-532 only. For example, you can uninstall versions that range from 1.5.0527.0 to 1.5.0532.2. To find the WGA Notifications version, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
b. Double-click Add or Remove Programs, locate and then click Windows XP - Software, then click Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, and then click Click here for support information.
c. In the Support Info dialog box, verify the version number, and then click Close.
3. Rename the following files by changing the extension to .old:
• Rename %Windir%\system32\WgaLogon.dll to %Windir%\system32\WgaLogon.old
• Rename %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.exe to %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.old
4. Restart the computer.
5. Unregister LegitCheckControl.dll by using Regsvr32. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
Regsvr32 %Windir%\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll /u
6. Restart the computer.
7. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
8. At the command prompt, delete the following files by typing the Del command. Press ENTER after you type each command.
• Del %Windir%\system32\wgalogon.old
• Del %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.old
• Del %Windir%\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll
9. At the command prompt, type regedit.
10. Locate and then right-click the following registry subkeys. Click Delete after you locate each subkey.
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\
CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WgaLogon
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows \CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WgaNotify

I actually blocked WGA with things like Zonealarm, but my copy of windows might be shared with only one other person (friend sold it to me), so it may be legit. Either way, the price of windows is way too high for them to force anything down our throats. Its not like its perfect software either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom