My laptop won't tourn on, pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

louminater

Solid State Member
I have a campaq laptop (XP os) and when I press the power button, the light turns on for like 2-5 seconds and then the computer turns off again. This is after replacing the power cord, the older one can't even turn on the computer at all. So we went out and bought two other ones. Now, the computer turns on for like 2-5 seconds like I said earlier, and it turns off again.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Is it the power supply? A burnt out motherboard? I don't think the battery is an issue since it won't even turn on when plugged into the power outlets. Any suggestions as to what the problem is? If it was a desktop, I'd be able to open it up and look at it, but I don't know much about laptop hardware.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks in advance!

just to be sure that the battery isnt the problem, take it out and plug in the laptop to AC then try to turn it on.

kfc469 said:
just to be sure that the battery isnt the problem, take it out and plug in the laptop to AC then try to turn it on.

Yeah, I just took the battery out and tried turning it on and connected it to the power outlet, didn't work. What's wierd is that now there's no light at all. With the battery in or out. You think it could be the power supply?

not the power cord.. Maybe it's the voltage... I've tried once when our dormitory is running on generator. I plugged my universal adaptor to 120V and it didnt run ( few seconds then gone)..I tried it on 240v and it did charge/run..Oh, US is 110 right?

mj9999 said:
not the power cord.. Maybe it's the voltage... I've tried once when our dormitory is running on generator. I plugged my universal adaptor to 120V and it didnt run ( few seconds then gone)..I tried it on 240v and it did charge/run..Oh, US is 110 right?

sorry for my ignorace but voltage in waht? Power outlet or laptop? Cuz the power outlets don't have a change in settings that you can alter in my house. I'm not that laptop savvy, so I don't know a lot about it.

Maybe the cpu is overheating and shutting the notebook off. Check to see if the fan is spinning up when you turn it on.

after 2-5 seconds? I think thats a little short.

have you added anything(hardware) to the comp lately?

bobojuice said:
Maybe the cpu is overheating and shutting the notebook off. Check to see if the fan is spinning up when you turn it on.

The computer won't even start anymore. Like when you press the power bottun, nothing happens at all. The orange light isn't even on signifying power to the computer from the power outlet.

What could be the problem?

kfc469 said:
after 2-5 seconds? I think thats a little short.

have you added anything(hardware) to the comp lately?

It's not even 2-5 seconds anymore, it doesn't turn on at ALL. Ummm, I don't remember adding anything new to the computer no.

ok...I have an idea. Someone tell me what they think of this. maybe just maybe, the problem is with the power button itself. For some reason the button is sticking. That would explain why the computer shut down 2-5 secs after turning it on. It usually takes 3 or 4 seconds to do a hard shutdown. Now, maybe the button is stuck all the way down and it can no longer be pushed. What do you guys think?

If thats not it, it would seem like a PSU problem--is your warranty up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom