how do I speed up my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brncao

Solid State Member
Overtime it gradually gets slower and slower and its frustrating. I decided to open a lot of applications with 2 accounts open to see how far I can push my computer to the limits. Of course the first thing that failed was the memory and so the computer restarted. guess 512mb is really not enough. amd athlon xp 2400+ 2ghz, 80gb hdd are the specs. its an old computer. I've clear up the hdd, disabled some startup programs at startup, and more cleaning. the computer still runs slower than my other computer which has a lower spec than this.

Might be time for a reformat, but try this:

1. Get a good anti-spyware/adware program. Spysweeper and Spybot Search & Destroy, and Ad-aware are good ones.

2. Get a good anti-virus program. AVG and Anti-Vir are pretty good, and free.

3. Get a registry cleaner. CCleaner is good.

4. Get a good disk defragmenter. O&O Defrag 2000 is free and very good (the default one that comes with Windows is a joke compared to O&O).

Go to Start -> Run -> Type msconfig. Click the 'Start-up' tab, and un-check all the programs you don't want to start when you start your computer. Everything can be disabled and it will still run properly, it's just what you want to start automatically for your convenience.

Well, try all that and see if it helps.

id do the above, if it still seems abit slow then its reformat time, if that doesnt sort it then nothing will! but if you do sort it out getting another 512 ram would help alot

When i work with older computers cleaning the registry usually helps alot. If its too bad though, and you have lots of unwanted programs, a reformat will do wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom