unknown partition on xp after clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

crh0872

Baseband Member
i needed more hard disk space, so i cloned a 10 gig hard drive to a 20 gig hard drive. i booted up with my 250 gig as slave and my 20 gig as master. it booted up fine, and i had 10 gigs free space. the only problem is, my 250 gig (D) wasn't there. so i went into administrative tools

after going into the disk manager i saw that the western digital 250 was there, but aparently it was an "unknown partition (healthy)", which is weird cuz BIOS recognizes it and partition commander sees it as NTFS and can access the files, and i scanned it with SMART and partition manager and it's apparently fine, but windows doesn't recognize it right

i think im gona buy a hard drive enclosure and see if windows sees it fine through that. will that work, or are there alternatives, or what??

----UPDATE----

i got the hard drive enclosure and windows does pretty much the same thing. it works with different hard drives too.

partition magic doesnt help because it thinks it's a weird partition just like windows does.

Hey

If you don't need anything on the 250 gig drive you can unhook the partitioned good drive so you don't mess it up and start your computer with a windows 98 boot floppy in and at a: type fdisk and then delete all the partitions that it shows. then in the same menu make a primary partition and then shutdown and re hook the 20 gig hard drive back up. Then make sure it' seen in BIOS and reboot.

well i need that stuff, so i think im gonna buy a SATA drive, copy all the stuff over to it and do basically what you just said. i can access the files fine, just not with windows. do you think if i duplicated it it would duplicate the problem too, or should i just copy over the files i need?

well okay then, thanks a lot guys....

i managed to figure the whole thing out by myself. so here's how it goes:

thanks to norton's partition magic i was able to find out that it was only hidden, everything was there, but windows didn't recognize it 'cause it was hidden. the reason is becuase i had enabled an option in system commander (a part of partition commander) that said to hide all drives but the master. i did this to solve a previous problem and didn't realize the consequinces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom