question about RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
stripe size: the file will be slit up into different secotrs parts, w/e they're called (been awhile since i read up on raid setup) based on the stripe size and splits the parts up on the hdds in raid.
If you had a file less then the stripe size, then the raid drivers would put it on just one of the hdds, meaning loss of preformance. But if you have a really large file and a low stripe size, then you will have alot of sectors for the hdds to read to produce the file needed, also loss of preformance.

So if you had a low stripe size, then the os and game installation files would work great on it (ie better load times) since their usually small.

Basiclly try to use the raid 0 for either os/games or storing data, not both. You can still do it, i do with myn, but you won't get the best preformance out of it if your trying to get the best out of it for gaming.
os/games = low stripe size
storage = high stripe size

lazer_viking said:
if xp disc contains it, doesnt that mean that its software based raid? ive heard that those arent any good... i dont mind buying a good controller if it offers better performance. and also, i dont know how to slipstream a driver into the install disc :\

True. Might want to try the software board-based raid, and research the hardware. They run from $75 up to over $200, for non scsi raid. Then you often have to buy (more) sdram memory to use in the raid card. Some of them may have 64 or 128 mb to begin with, others only have a bare 168pin sdram slot~

I can't offer any specific suggestions re hardware raid, sorry!

As far as slipping the files into a new XP installation disc you burn, do a google. It will offer far better details than any narrative I can peck out here .

so, i need a good answer as christmas is coming up. a know i need the two raptors, but as far as a RAID things go i need a confirmation on wether or not my mobo has everything necessary or not. do i need a pci raid controlled or not? if so, what kind? SATA or SATA II? i couldnt see if a raptor was SATA or SATA II.... does it matter?

okay a little confused now... i guess i just scratch RAID off my list. its too late to order it in time for xmas now anyway.
but im confused because the PCI slot raid controllers had hard drive slots on the side facing out of the case.... why? am i supposed to put internal HD's outside of the case? and what exactly is the card going to do? do the HD's plug into the card, then the computer accesses the information via PCI rather than the hard drive slots? and would it fit in on an ATX motherboard with an 8800?

PCI Raid cards are a bad plan. You would be better of with a single non-raided SATA drive on the the motherboard controller.

2xSATA II Raptors need an awful lot more bendwidth than a PCI slot can provide.

If you are going to get a Raid Contoller card, it should really be PCI-E.

so...... what you're saying is if i have a graphics card i can't have RAID?
can anyone confirm what joshd said?

edit: wait nvm my pci-e slots are spaced out enough, i used to have sli but sli sucks so i got rid of it. can anyone link me to a good pci-e raid controller then? please??????? i have no idea what im even looking for on newegg!!!!!!!

lazer_viking said:
so...... what you're saying is if i have a graphics card i can't have RAID?
can anyone confirm what joshd said?

edit: wait nvm my pci-e slots are spaced out enough, i used to have sli but sli sucks so i got rid of it. can anyone link me to a good pci-e raid controller then? please??????? i have no idea what im even looking for on newegg!!!!!!!

Video cards use PCI-E x16 slots, RAID cards would probably use PCI-E x4 slots, but maybe x1.

ohhhh................. i thought pci-e meant 16x always. my bad there.

anyway, about the price.. i want a good one. i dont want the raid controller to bottleneck my HDD's... thats the biggest thing right there. is it possible to get that under 200?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom