Windows XP counterfeit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
So yeah, for a while now I have been getting a msg on my comp saying that this is not running on a genuine Microsoft Windows CD and saying that I may be a victim of software counterfeiting. I built my rig and bought the OS online off eBay and it came sealed and looking new. While I was building my rig, I had problems with the wiring so I had to send it in to a computer shop. They offered to install my Windows XP Pro for me for free so I said, "Sure, why not?". Well ever since I've gotten this message, I wonder why I even have it when I shelled out $110 for the Windows XP Pro. It didn't really bother me as I tried to ignore it but lately when I've been trying to download Microsoft programs (such as updating my Direct X9, Windows Media Player 11, Windows Media Connect, etc.) it says I cannot download it because I do not have a genuine Microsoft software.

So Microsoft offers some ways to resolve this issue, one of them being to send in my Microsoft Windows XP Pro CD, receipt, and key to them in replace for a new, genuine one. This was a great option but I NO LONGER have my CD or key. I looked everywhere for it and cannot find it. All I have is the sticker you're support to apply on the PC tower but it doesn't have a key.

I do NOT want to buy another Windows XP Pro because I bought this with my own money fair and square and now it is asking me to buy it again! I'm not sure whether it was the seller on eBay who sent me a counterfeit product or the people who installed it for me that kept my real key and put in a counterfeit one. So is there anything I can do?

I can almost guarantee it was the people you gave your computer to that screwed you over. I never seen a single one of those types of business not try and take advantage of people. The least you can try and do is call microsoft and try and pry a code out of them. Currently I'm having the same problem until I shell out to buy professional again. It sucks, but then again, so does Microsoft for making using your computer cost $140 USD.

Contact Microsoft. They have a toll free number. Make sure you talk to a person. Give them all the info you have and where you purchased it from. They will give you a Number that you can use to turn it legit.

Thank you, I will try that. All I have now is this sticker applied to my computer and it appears to have some sort of key code on it but it's not the one to register your Windows XP Pro with.

well your kinda screwed as far as downloading from microsoft goes, i am sorry to tell you. you can however get rid of the wga notifications that annoying message. download a program called whats running (its free) and go to the startup tab and uncheck all references to wga winlogon. i am sorry you got screwed over with the key code. a nice alternative for playing movies would be vlc media player it has codecs for almost every video format. for music you can use winamp. both of those programs are free to............good luck...................

Ah darn that sucks :( what a waste of money

Well I downloaded what's running and went to startup but I don't see the wga thing? Even though I can still see the wga icon on the bottom right of my screen next to my clock

Does it really matter? Because you can download it but before it is installed it does the genuine check

download this.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f2s5we

extract it with winrar

restart you computer in safe mode (hit f8 upon boot). sign in as administrator and copy these file to your windows system 32 folder. select yes when it ask to overwrite the old files. go to softpedia for windows software or get autopatcher to get your updates.

you can also pick manual install at windows updates and never pick that wga notification thing, but I'd stay away from windows update. I just don't trust them and I have legit computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom