Can I modify my stock HSF...

Status
Not open for further replies.
no problem ^_^.

i mean think about it, if a 3.5g can do 16square inches then a 12g would do roughly 55 square inches. and an amd is about 1.5sq in (i think) so, you barley even use any of it. lol, i might get some. does nebody know how long as5 can last in the tube w/cap on?

(err, might...lol, i need it, 4000+ will not be happy without some as5, lol)

bmxfreakrider said:
no problem ^_^.

i mean think about it, if a 3.5g can do 16square inches then a 12g would do roughly 55 square inches. and an amd is about 1.5sq in (i think) so, you barley even use any of it. lol, i might get some. does nebody know how long as5 can last in the tube w/cap on?

(err, might...lol, i need it, 4000+ will not be happy without some as5, lol)

i think it lasts like 3 years or something, maybe longer, just keep it in a cool dry place.
and yeah dude you need a dot of it about 1/2 the size of a bb.
one tube will last forever, almost.
3.5g is more than enough even if you screw up three or four (or ten) times.
good luck!
p.s. by the way this is a link you might want to look at. as5 wont come with directions of any sort...

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

nagasama said:
i think it lasts like 3 years or something, maybe longer, just keep it in a cool dry place.
and yeah dude you need a dot of it about 1/2 the size of a bb.
one tube will last forever, almost.
3.5g is more than enough even if you screw up three or four (or ten) times.
good luck!
p.s. by the way this is a link you might want to look at. as5 wont come with directions of any sort...

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

That link was very helpful, thanks. :)

EDIT: I have a question now. That link you provided says to only put a small drop on the CPU and then just mount the HSF. Should I do that, or spread it out like some people suggest?

Well from the pic it shows the actual core is just the small point in the middle so maybe you dont really need to spread it after all. I'd probably spread it around anyway, but thats just because im a jerk.

i didn't spread mine. i put the dot, put my hsf on top and twisted ita little left and right, and viola...! 5-10*+ cooler.
the only problem that i had is getting my hsf mounted w/out lifting it up at all again. it took me a couple of tries to get it on right, but that's cos i am a perfectionist about these things.
it's funny, the zalmann website says spread it out, as5 says don't spread.
as5 makes a good point about it tho, you don't need to cover entire cpu because it is actually more efficient to draw the heat out at a smaller point (above the cpu). pretty interesting.
anyways, yeah, i put a dot and it works fine. you will notice a difference in temps gradually until about 1-200 hours after you put it on.
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom