Can I modify my stock HSF...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
I want to put just a regular fan on my CPU heat sink. I have the stock cooler that comes with the s939 AMD A64 3200+. I'm not real sure how the fan mounts and I'm too lazy to tear into my case to check it out, but can I easily mount a 80mm fan on there?

Say I can mount a fan, would I need a variable speed fan or could I just run it regularly (I don't care about noise)?

Lastly, anyone know what size the stock fan is? Looks like 80mm?

Thanks.

bmxfreakrider said:
yea. personally id go with something from thermaltake or coolermaster 120mm+ 50cfm+ 25dba-
More Specifically:
Ranked from Best to worst. IMO.
Scythe Ninja
XP-120
XP-90
Zalman 9700
TT Bigtyphoon

Again, Imo.

Ste said:
Since your overclocking, it will be much more worth it to buy an aftermarket heatsink with Artic Silver 5.

Well for now my temps are fine. I idle at about 37*C, load is no more than 45*C. Not terrific temps but they aren't that bad either.

Basically I just want to put a more exciting/efficient fan on there. I don't want to spend the money for an expensive HSF when I don't really need it.

I just feel like modding something and that looked like a good candidate. :)

After looking at the HSF, I think I can mount a different fan with some long screws, similar to the way some chipset fans are mounted.

Is 27CFM @ 3500RPM okay for a CPU fan?

bmxfreakrider said:
27cfm for an 80mm fan that pushes 3500rpm? yea thats ok, better than mine, thats for sure. just gotta find a way to mount it now, lol

Actually that was for a 70mm fan.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure I can mount it via some long screws that just screw in-between the heat sink fins, but I will have to inspect it further.

I also need to see if I could squeeze an 80mm fan on there, as that would broaden my choice of fans quite a bit.

Also, how long would this last me? I'm hoping to get some for Christmas, for a videocard cooler that I hope to get. Would I have enough in that tube for my video card and CPU?

Thanks for the help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom