Hard drive adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

snypercore

Daemon Poster
when it comes to dealing with hard drives ive onyl ever used what i know as IDE's, now my GF has bought me a 250GB SATA drive by mistake and i told ehr to tkae it back and get an IDE, she went back to "PC WORLD" *rolls eyes* (BTW she knows nothign about Pc's) and she tells them shes needs a IDE drive not a SATA, she then tells me they have given her a PATA drive. is this the same as IDE and will it work wiht the same cables etc...?

EDIT ive jsut searched on wikipedia and found that IDE and PATA are the same diff name, howevr i also saw max IDE capacity is 130GB, how has my GF got a 250GB one then? or will this require a different conencter or driver or evern mobo because im pretty sure my mobo only supports standard IDE, help is much appreciated

That should work fine with your PC. It also depends on the bios. Older ones usually have limits on drive sizes, but there is usually always a bios updgrade or even software included with the drive that will resolve that problem. But you can use your standard IDE cables with the drive. All IDE drives are parallel.

thanks, erm im hoping i don t need a BIOS upgrade as ive tried flashing my BIOS b4 and just didnt work due to an unrecognised chipset and its kidna an old board so i hope its just a driver or something to stop the size limiter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom