680i issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosbusch2005

In Runtime
I am in the market to build a new PC and had decided on the EVGA 680i SLI motherboard. Now I am hearing bout problems with the chipset http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI0NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I'm wondering if this should deter me from purchasing this motherboard or not? Are there any other good options if I want SLI? Such as the Asus P5n32-SLI premium which uses the 590 chipset?
Is there anything I would be missing out on if I went with the older chipset?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah I was looking at those problems myself. The 680i is a young chipset so I'd stay away until they find what the problems are and a fix for them. They'll get it right, just gonna take them a few trys.

One of my friends has the 680i coupled with an E6600. He loves it, hasn't had any problems with it (except that it sets higher volts to most/all components in the system, but that's easy to fix). He's also a senior in computer engineering, so he knows his stuff. He recommends the board.

Is the fact that it sets higher volts an easy fix for someone who isn't a computer engineering major? This is going to be my first build and I am just nervous that if I buy the 680i board I will have problems that I won't know how to fix. I want it to be an enjoyable experience not one filled with frustrations. Thanks for the replies though! :)

nosbusch2005 said:
Is the fact that it sets higher volts an easy fix for someone who isn't a computer engineering major? This is going to be my first build and I am just nervous that if I buy the 680i board I will have problems that I won't know how to fix. I want it to be an enjoyable experience not one filled with frustrations. Thanks for the replies though! :)

It's an easy fix if you know how to get in to your BIOS and look for the right settings.

Thanks for the info. I'll do some more research and see what I come up with. I will probably end up buying the board to try it out. Thanks again and any other opinions are more than welcome.

I have only done one computer build and it was just a few weeks ago....It is the one in my sig. It is actually my sons pc.

We used the Asus P5W DH motherboard and it was very easy to set up.....powered up 1st time no problems what so ever and has been running great ever since we build it.

I am hoping that my build goes just as well, but I am alittle concerned about the Asus 680i mobo at the moment. I have my fingeres crossed..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom