Video Card and HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
Heya,

Just hoping someone could help me out as i would like to know a good alternative to the radeon 1900 all-in wonder as it would appear they have been discontinued as of last week as all shops seem to have no stock or stock coming in within the UK. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Secondly im planning on buying 2x 500gb seagate barracuda hdd to use as part of a smallserver as storage with a 320gb for microsoft and personal use. What would be an effective style of RAID to use??

Thirdly this is my first time building a computer and so can you check over these components and give any suggestions on compatibly problems or flawed hardware.

Hardware
Mobo - intel D975XBX
Cpu - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Ram - Corsair 2x512mb
Sony - 18xDvd rewriter 12xRAM
Gpu - ???
Psu - Antec truepower 2.0 430W
audio - ???
Harddrives - 2x Seagate barracuda 7200.10 500gb
1x Seagate barracuda 7200.10 320gb
Tv tuner - Hauppage Wintv-Hvr 1300

Os - Windows Meadia centre 2005 spk2

Will be used for mass media storage and server over Lan network and as moderate gaming machine. needs to be able to extract DVDs onto harddrives

Matt

Unless you plan on spending alot on the video card im a big fan of the 7900gs ko by evga, around 180 bucks in the states.

As far as your raid solution, i'd set up the two 500gb disks on a stripe(Raid0). However you could also set them up as a jbod (just bunch of disks) just in case youre afraid that one of them might fail. Really up to you though.

saltynay said:
Heya,

Just hoping someone could help me out as i would like to know a good alternative to the radeon 1900 all-in wonder as it would appear they have been discontinued as of last week as all shops seem to have no stock or stock coming in within the UK. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

what's your budget on video cards? the best video cards right now are the nvidia 8 series.

Secondly im planning on buying 2x 500gb seagate barracuda hdd to use as part of a smallserver as storage with a 320gb for microsoft and personal use. What would be an effective style of RAID to use??

the RAID style depends on your preference. do you want 2x500gb=1TB (raid 0)or do you want one HDD to mirror the other? (raid 1)

Thirdly this is my first time building a computer and so can you check over these components and give any suggestions on compatibly problems or flawed hardware.

Hardware
Mobo - intel D975XBX (Asus P5N or Gigbyte DS3)
Cpu - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Ram - Corsair 2x512mb
Sony - 18xDvd rewriter 12xRAM
Gpu - ??? (see above)
Psu - Antec truepower 2.0 430W
audio - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Harddrives - 2x Seagate barracuda 7200.10 500gb
1x Seagate barracuda 7200.10 320gb
Tv tuner - Hauppage Wintv-Hvr 1300

Os - Windows Meadia centre 2005 spk2 just get WinXP Pro

Will be used for mass media storage and server over Lan network and as moderate gaming machine. needs to be able to extract DVDs onto harddrives

Matt

Heya,

I think i'll go with Raid 0 with the 2x 500gb hdd. I was planning on spending below 150 for the video card. Ive looked at the two mobo's that you suggested but still feel that the intel motherboard is better. The Audio card looks good and i had already identified it as being a possibility. Thankyou for your suggestions.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom