Tablet --> Buy now or Wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfc469

Daemon Poster
I am thinking about buying a Toshiba Tecra M7 convertable laptop/ tablet for xmas.

Here are the specs that I configured:
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo* Processor T7600 (2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Tablet Edition 2005
Memory: 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM (1024MBx2)
LCD: 14.1" Diagonal WXGA+ Display (1440 x 900) with High Brightness and Wide View Angle
Graphics Controller: NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 110M with TurboCache™ and 128MB of dedicated graphics memory
HDD: 120GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial-ATA)
Optical Media: DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
Mini-PCI/WiFi: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)
Bluetooth: Bluetooth Version 2.0 + EDR

Or Link: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c...NT-0002|APP-0006|WARR-0001|&qtycrt=1&lincrt=1

I have been hearing a lot lately about waiting to buy a new computer until vista takes hold becasue of the amount of RAM, etc needed. My question is: should I buy this now, or should I wait for something better to come out so that it can do vista better. I want to use it to play games as well as do school work.

Thanks

wait...you want to play games on a tablet laptop with a quadro video card...

This is not the right thing to get if you want to play games. You could get a mighty powerful laptop with one or two 7900gtx's for around this price...

ok i found you a laptop:
http://www.alienware.com/configurat...scode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-9700&subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

Alienware Aurora SLI

for same price u get:
2.2 ghz dual core turion
17'' Widescreen 1920x1200 resolution
2gb dual channel ram
100gb 7200RPM drive
DVD burner combo whatever thing
DUAL Geforce 7900GS graphics cards (512mb memory total)
and HD integrated soundcard

Not only is this about the same price...it will absolutely cream that tecra... you could use anything for schoolwork, but for gaming this is the best thing under 3k

The best thing about this:
1920x1200 resolution...and the ability to play any game on every max setting at this resolution flawlessly...the tecra will not run games well if at all, and will look inferior as well.

but I really want a tablet and this one is the only one I can find with an actual video card, not just integrated graphics.

what do you need a tablet for? Its not even a perfected technology...its kind of neat for about 5 seconds.. but then what is it used for?

If u need to swivel your laptop, just connect it to a projector...then atleast everyone in the room can see.

Honestly, id wait until you dont want a tablet anymore before you buy.

Tablet's not only cost a stupid premium over the regular laptops, but also have cheaper looking screens, and lower resolutions.

Here ill put it this way:

If you want to play 1/4 of the games out now at a crappier resolution, and probably at low frame rates buy the tablet.

If you want to absolutely crush every game made yet, as well as play every game within the next 1.5-2 years at atleast decent-high framerates. Get the laptop I suggested.

blaackoran said:
what do you need a tablet for?

well im going to college and I was thinking that it would be very nice if I could just write on the screen to take notes rather that typing them because I'm a pretty slow typer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom