Dual-Screen setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
how do i find out how big my monitor is? i would like to buy one that is the same size.

also, how do i know if my video card will work for multiple-monitor usage?

i have an NVIDIA 7600GT that interfaces through AGP4x/8x.

im using a Dell Dimension 4600, with these upgrades:
New Speaker System
New Mouse
New PSU (FSC 500W)
New Ram (2gb Patriot Signature)
New Fan
and the aforementioned video card.

will i:
A.) Be able to set this up?
B.) be able to set it up without buying new components? (not including second monitor)

and if i have to buy a new video card, what do i need?

If it an LCD, measure the screen diagonally (corner to corner). Odds are it is either 17" or 19" unless it is a couple of years old.

As long as your card has two ports on it (it should, as the 7600GT is a fairly new card), you're set. You'll have to pay around a little in the Display Properties (search for dual monitors here on TF), but you won't have any problems getting it going.

so just take a ruler to my screen? that should give me an accurate measurement?

ok. so my monitor is 19", and my video card supports two. now.

do i need certain software to be able to put things on different screens? or to make my mouse go from one to the other? stuff like that?

also, do only certain monitors work with dual-screen stuff?

As long as the video card has two ports for monitors, you don't need certain monitors...just two for dual-screen. You don't need any software. When you download the video card drivers, theres settings for having a dual-screen setup. Like horizontal and vertical span, dualview, or clone.

I great programme that ive found for dual monitor setup is "ultramon" it makes everything alot easier and simpler and has more expandibility then the windows inbuilt alternative.

yes you can measure it with a ruler diagonally or use pythagoras theorem (maths) and measure the height and width then use this equation.....

(AxA) = (BxB) + (CxC)

A= diagonal length
B = height
C = width

p.s its the letters squared i just dont have a keyboard that can type squaring

Matt

yeah, i know the pytharogan theorem :D

so i just need to buy a second monitor and im set? nothing NEEDED?

also... will i be able to run good graphix on both? right now im able to run at max resolution and max refresh and basically all highest settings... will i have to cut down to run two monitors?

Higher Resolution will probably be better for two monitors so this will hamper performance but the 7600GT isnt a slow card ... It would have two ports for dual monitors if it cudnt handle it . Right ?

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom