Windows Vista shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnome

Beta member
So i was trawling the web and came accross a nasty suprise.
Vista will require you to re-activate every 180 days? o_O Is this just for business editions or is premium excepted?

If they apply this to vista home premium (what I would prolly end up getting) i'm running straight into the arms of a Linux distro ASAP!

this sis hte first ive heard, where is the source of this info? and plus even if you have a legit copy or a pirated one there will always be a way round things like this so dont panic...

Umm yes this is true. But XP also does this as well with the WGA. So i dont see why everyone is so up in arms over the fact that M$ is continuing a practice that they already follow.

Reactivate? Use it once and buy it again? U guys have so got me from buying Vista Ultimate............... but still $400 is outrageous, I wonder what other catches it will have!!!!!

What are you talking about? Do you have to buy a new copy of XP when it Reactivates via the WGA? No.

All it means is that every 180 days it will contact the M$ Server and check to make sure your serial hasnt been blacklisted.

Gee jsut like XP does now. So you wont have to buy it again.

Makaveli213 said:
What are you talking about? Do you have to buy a new copy of XP when it Reactivates via the WGA? No.

All it means is that every 180 days it will contact the M$ Server and check to make sure your serial hasnt been blacklisted.

Gee jsut like XP does now. So you wont have to buy it again.

But when you disable the automatic update in XP, it will not contact Microsoft server and so it can't be blacklisted.

Is this the same for vista ?? I mean if I disable automatic update in vista then it will not be blacklisted, right ?

Nope. Just cause you disable auto updates doesnt mean that it prevents the new WGA from calling home. That is one of the newer features.

I knwo that if you disable the updates in Vista it wont matter since this feature is built further into the OS structure than it is for XP.

Makaveli213 said:
Umm yes this is true. But XP also does this as well with the WGA. So i dont see why everyone is so up in arms over the fact that M$ is continuing a practice that they already follow.
The 180 day Activation is only required for Windows Vista Business/Enterprise Edition.

Here is a good article explaining the activation process and a neat workaround that hackers have made. This solution was almost to easy, I don't know how Microsoft missed it.
http://tinyurl.com/y2npt8

That is the KMS Server workaround. That was the other crack that was fixed. Actually this KMS Server issues was fixed before the other 2 cracks was fixed. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom