The New Guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba0315

In Runtime
Hey...

My name is Mike, i'm 15, and I love computers. My computer now has potential, but isn't that great. I don't know the exact specs, but i don't have a great vid or sound card. My cd burner is extremely slow (i don't know y). I got pentium 3, 800ghz, 318 RAM, don't know about the hard drive. I'm mostly into gaming, i need a new vid card, tho, the pixels are HUGE. and to top it all off I'm running 98, lol!!!:p I'm getting xp from a buddy, and i wanna get new stuff, b4 i have to delete and reinstall everything in order to change my OS. I could get linux, but i wouldn't have anybody to intall it for me (my uncle could, but he says he can't do it, cuz of his job or somethin)

I'm also going to buy an xbox with LIVE, halo, cs, and mechassault...

peace out...

Oh ya, any help with upgrading my computer, would be appreciated. Or should i just sell it, and build a whole new one?

later...

I'd sell it and start fresh. The moherboard that is in it is prob. way out of date and, therefore jacking up he price of your memory, and you can get a 2.0 ghz computers now for like $500. So if i were you i would buy another one......Oh, and by the way, welcome to TF.

WASSUP-

i would say buy a new 1 to and heres a spec i would recommend for games=
2.0 ghz (not celoron there kinda cr*p)
512 mb ram
80 gb harddrive
and a good 128 mb vid card-mabey a gforce fx 5200 oR 5600

all this for bout $600 i guess or a little more

have fun!!! :p

cool, thanx... I was going to get an ati radion 9600 128 mb... is that good? I thought so from my researching, but idk for sure. So should I keep anything in my computer, or just sell it all. I could prolly take the extra stick of mem out, right? that leaves 256. Or should i take that one, and leave the other? idk what to do, but I'm going to see my dad this summer, and we'll put one together.

I know this doesn't really matter, but i don't really like plain white (beige) color of the case, so what could i do? I don't want to spend a whole lot on a case. Should i just leave it alone, and spend money on the inside? And do you think I should get a flatscreen. They look nice, but they are very expensive, from what i've seen.

thanx

Thats an above average video card i guess, if you plan to play alot of video games i recommend a 256mb, but that card is okay....for rhe memory stick, different computers take different RAM, so if you are not sure what kind of computer you are getting now, i would sell it with the memory. Alsso, you could always just spray paint your "tower", if you dont have the $ to buy a cool one. Just mask off what you dont wa`nt painted with tape and spray away, i suggest practicing on something first that way you dont mess up your new computer. As for a flat screen, they are nice but also nicely priced as well. I use my TV as my monitor but if you want a flat screen and have the money for it, you could buy that or spend that money you would have saved up for the monitor and get upgrades for your CPU. Just my two cents....good luck.

The way i have mine hooked up is thru S-Video. All you need is a video card w/ s-video or A/V hookups (red, yellow, and white). And of course your tv needs to have one of these hookups as well. But if your using an older tv that doesnt, you can buy an RF modulator that screws into your tv that will allow you to hook up computers, x-box, etc.

My tv doesn't have the a/v hookups, what is s-video??? Or could i hook it up to my vcr/dvd player, like you would for an n64?

S-video is "super video". They are supposed to be better than A/V cables, but i can't tell any difference personally. You could hook it up thru your dvd player if you know how to, but if you were to get an RF modulator (about $20), you screw that into your tv, like you would your cable, and hook up the monitor with whichever cables you prefer (A/V or S-video), kinda depends on your video card for which hookups you will have available. But if you were yo hook it up thru your dvd player, yes it is exactly like hooking up a N64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom