DVD Playback Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundertiger

Baseband Member
Ok, this just happened recently, I put in a DVD to watch, and my whole computer starts Stuttering...

I used FRAPS to capture a clip of the matrix playing from DVD in Windows media player 11.

(Put File) Click here to watch The-Matrix-40-55

But, When i do anything CD related, ny whole computer goes like that, mouse movements as well...

i have tried different DVD drives but no luck. Even when burning a disc it goes like that..

Any help i would REALLY REALLY aprreciate it

Using Google, I found a couple possibilities.

Sometimes stuttering can be fixed by changing a video-card setting.

You can try this, it will do no harm otherwise. The first thing you need to
do is run or install coolbits. After that, go to your video-card settings.
Under "Additional Direct 3D Settings, change the "Max frames to render
ahead" to "0". It default to "3", I think.

> Try changing your refresh rate to 60mhz

I found the problem. I had to start the game, alt-tab
out and then go to my system processes screen and set Affinity and then turn
off one of my CPUs for that game (it doesn't like dual core for some
reason). Ridiculous, but it works.

I would suggest that your issues are more software related, be it video driver,
chipset driver, mobo bios, etc. For a frame of reference I am using the 84.43
beta vid drivers and 6.70 nForce driver on an Asus A8N (with latest bios) with a
7900GT CO Superclock.

My dual core experience w/nForce 4 has been phenomenal. Battlefield 2 runs pegged
@ my lcd's vsync of 75Hz with 4xAA and 8x Ansio while crunching on folding@home at
the same time. Simply amazing.

After installing the pair of updates mentioned earlier I have not experienced any
gameplay issues of any kind. I play BF2, Civ4, HL2, DoD/CS:Source, GalCiv2, Q4,
etc.

Before the 84.43 drivers I did have some strange video anomolies with CS:Source
and DoD:Source (but not HL2 funny enough). The games ran smoothly, but I had some
strange colored polka dots in the sky. My hunch is that nVidia has some work to
do on the drivers to fix/optimize for the 7900's. I thought the 7900 was mainly a
die shrink, but they may have tweaked some some of the inner workings a tad as
well.

Hope something here was useful to you.

no - its even when i put any type of cd/dvd in. whenever it is reading/writing my whole PC goes like that vid on my first post...

my system specs are...

1.8 GHz Sempron 939
1Gb RAM
256Mb ATi Radeon X700 PRO
80Gb HDD + 250 Gb HDD
DVD/RW drive

From MoBo - IDE from MoBo to 250Gb hdd then to DVD
IDE2 from Mobo Straight to 80GB hdd (with operating system on)

I really need some help here, basically i cant use my computer and the dvd drive at the same time

and i have tried using an ordinary CD drive and taking out the 250GB hdd

I think your mobo has two cable connections. one is for the hdds and the other is for dvd units etc. You normally attach the two hdds to the ide connection on the mobo. (possibly coloured blue) setting the jumper pins on each hdd to CS. The las hdd on the cable will be the master and the first is the slave drive. This cable is 80 pins. one connection on the cable is blue, one is grey and the other is black.
The blue one goes to the mobo.
The DVD cable is 40 pins and all three connections are black.
In both cases the cable has a differentcoloured edge on one side. This goes to the no 1 pin end of the mobo connection.
Putting the DVD on the same cable as the hdds will cause all kinds of trouble. The jumper pin should be set to single if you have only one DVD/CD unit. Otherwise one is set to master and the other to slave. The master goes at the end of the cable.

Check it out.

Hmm, tried that- IDE connecter with 3 conenctions (1 to mobo and other 2 to HDDs) and the single connecter for my DVDRW drive but still no luck - tried device manager properties and messing with the settings in there and windows help and support could only help a two year old...

Ohh well, new pc coming in feburary... i can live without a cd/dvd drive til then

Thanks for everyones help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom