Best place for HD Data Recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj800

Solid State Member
Hello,

I recently had trouble with my 80 W.D. hard drive and would like to know the best place to send it in hopes that they may be able to recover my files. Unexpectedly one day my computer would not boot. I got the known <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll message. I tried using the Recovery Console (repair) from the Windows disk, but had no luck. It would give me one option and that is to REFORMAT.

I then tried setting it up as a slave drive in a different computer hoping that I could at least access the data on the drive, but I was still unable to access it. It would recognize the drive, but show that it's full(which I have used maybe 20gigs of the 80) and would not allow any type of access to it.

I am done messing with it and just want to send it somewhere. I have very valuable pictures and docs on this drive and would really like to get them back. I have considered reformatting and then using a data recovery tool, but don't want to risk making things worse.

I am thinking this can be corrected with software, but I'm not sure. I know most data recovery places are intense lab type places and I don't know if my problem falls into this category.

Any ideas or tips?

TIA

If you have important files on it DON'T REFORMAT! That erases everything without chance of recovering. Where do you live (city, country)? If you have tried data recovery on it and it still doesn't work it sounds like you might need to bring it in. Therefore, we need to know where you live.

You could also try a couple of third party data recovery programs. If it still recognizes it's there then it means it isn't completely done.

Download.com Recovery Program List

erm reformatting doesnt erase all chances of recovering files,, theres plenty of programs that scan hard drives for deleted files even after a format,,

"Quick" format would leave some data to be recovered.

Low-level format would leave absolutely nothing.

I am in Michigan. How does recovery software work when I'm unable to boot from the hard drive? Being that the Recovery Console doesn't work from the windows disk, isn't likely that no other software will work as well?

are there any programs that I would be able to download a trial to see if it will work before purchasing?

okay here's the deal... I contacted a couple recovery places and they basically will dissect the hard drive and attempt to pull everything off.

They will not however attempt to use any basic programs prior to the in depth lab work. My question is, are there any places that will attempt the easiest methods first prior to the forensic type work? I'm thinking it's something fairly simple, but don't want to spend the big bucks if not needed.

I am willing to do just about anything to get this data back, but I want to be smart about it at the same time.

Thanks!

aj800 said:
I am in Michigan. How does recovery software work when I'm unable to boot from the hard drive? Being that the Recovery Console doesn't work from the windows disk, isn't likely that no other software will work as well?

Knoppix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom