Windows Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayp

Solid State Member
Hi All, I still use Windows Me until 2007 when I purchase a new computer, however, I have a question that I can find no help on via Microsoft. Here it is:

In order to repair/replace files missing or corrupted in Windows Me ...one is "We cannot locate 1394bus.sys" when trying to instal Firewire PCI Card. Can I reinstall Windows Me with my Me disc to repair the system ? I am afraid to try in case I lose all my programmes & documents.
I appreciate any help or advice, but don`t say get XP since I will do so in 2007. Many Thanks. Ray.

Rayp said:
Hi All, I still use Windows Me until 2007 when I purchase a new computer, however, I have a question that I can find no help on via Microsoft. Here it is:

In order to repair/replace files missing or corrupted in Windows Me ...one is "We cannot locate 1394bus.sys" when trying to instal Firewire PCI Card. Can I reinstall Windows Me with my Me disc to repair the system ? I am afraid to try in case I lose all my programmes & documents.
I appreciate any help or advice, but don`t say get XP since I will do so in 2007. Many Thanks. Ray.
Ray,

As The General said ME isnt supported so it is no wonder you cant find any support VIA M$. But using you ME disc will cause you to lose all your programs and documents. Only if you format and do a fresh install.
Also to install your firewire card are you sure it is ME compatible? That should be the first thing you look for since you are using that System. Most of the firewire cards i know of are XP compatable and maybe 2000. I don't know of any that are compatable with ME.
Check that out first and if it is then i can try and guide you thru a ME repair install.

i had a 98 and i didn't care to get a opperating system. the computer broke so i bought a 2005 compaq presario with windows xp pro. I was so glad i changed

bwkrazyness said:
i had a 98 and i didn't care to get a opperating system.

What? Assuming "98" refers to Windows 98, which is an operating system ... what are you talking about? You didn't care to get an operating system?

Thanks to all who responded to my call for assistance, you are all very highly thought of here for your input.
I have now accepted that WinMe is not the most popular OS and I must go for (at least) Win XP.
Makaveli I appreciate your offer of help thro` the process of `format and re-installation of Me" but having checked now the Firewire Card information it seems that it is not intended for Me but rather XP. You were quite right and I thankyou again.
I will remove the Firewire Card and us the Me until Father Xmas finds me a new computer for 2007. Thanks all. You are a wonderful group of Technical Minds. Merry Xmas. Rayp.

Ray you are quite welcome for the help. I am sorry that it turned out the way it has with the card being unsuitable for your OS. I can almost guarentee that with your new PC and the Vista OS that it will have you should not conter this problem again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom