monitor resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing the video resolution being higher will slow down the computer if you're using a video card less than 64MB. Also, having the video card at a higher resolution will make it look more grainy, since the refresh rate can't be higher than 60Hz

superdave1984 said:
You can change your resolution settings in the registry. Back it up first.
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG , system, current control set, control, video. There should be another folder or two in the video folder so open each one and look for resolution settings.There are settings for default x resolution and default y resolution. Set the values to 1440 and 900.

That's pointless. Just go to the Nvidia Control Panel and add a custom resolution. I can add 123x456 if I wanted.

talldude123 said:
I'm guessing the video resolution being higher will slow down the computer if you're using a video card less than 64MB. Also, having the video card at a higher resolution will make it look more grainy, since the refresh rate can't be higher than 60Hz

Did you just completely make all that up? Because it makes no sense at all.

The General said:
That's pointless. Just go to the Nvidia Control Panel and add a custom resolution. I can add 123x456 if I wanted.

True. But I was answering N0toriou5's question. Editing the registry will work no matter what video card you have as long as the card supports the settings.

CrazeD said:
That's what I was thinking... :rolleyes:

The video memory has to do alot with higher resolutions, because it doesn't have enough memory to put the display larger.

As far as the refresh rate, unless I have a crappy monitor, it can only to up to 60Hz if you're over 1280*1024

ALWAYS run LCD's at their MAX resolution. ALWAYS.

ALWAYS run LCD's at their NATIVE resolution IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

LCD's are different from CRTs. WHile a crt looks basically the same in different resolutions, LCDs do not. They look best in their native resolution... which is usually, but not always, their highest resolution.

Refresh rates are used differently for LCDs as well. On a CRT you want the refresh rate as high as possible to reduce eye strain and eliminate flicker./ On an LCD, high refresh rates lower the quality of the image. When using an LCD, set the refresh at default (60 or 65).

talldude123 said:
The video memory has to do alot with higher resolutions, because it doesn't have enough memory to put the display larger.

As far as the refresh rate, unless I have a crappy monitor, it can only to up to 60Hz if you're over 1280*1024

Just stop while you're ahead.

Everything you're saying makes no sense.

And yes, you have a crappy monitor. My CRT that I got for $98 pushes 85hz at 2048x1536, 185hz at 1280x1024 and 200hz at 800x600, but refresh rate doesn't make anything look grainy ... then again, you have a crappy monitor so maybe it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom