Computer restarts randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

brncao

Solid State Member
I am having some problems with my computer restarting randomly. everytime I plug in a usb peripheral (storage-type drives into front usb port), my computer restarts sometimes. when I drive the computer crazy, opening lots of applications or running power-intensive programs, it restarts. sometimes it restarts when its idle. I don't know what the problem is. must be driver error but I dont know which driver. Running windows XP. 512mb of ram. amd athlon xp 2400+ (2ghz).

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER340a.dir00\Mini121306-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER340a.dir00\sysdata.xml

MSI has a lot of problems with external USB ports (except the rear panel ones). It could also be a heat issue. many random restarts are caused by the system shutting itself off. Run a few apps that you normally run and either go into your BIOS or download PC Wizard and check your temps. CPU, system, and video card temps are the most common problems.

it cant be heat issues since it has never done that before. It's definately the drivers (I think). If my Bios needed to be updated, how do I do that?
also, my computer turns back on when I put it to hibernation or standby.

could be a heat issue even if it hasn't happened before. there could be dust accumulation on the fans/cooling fins and/or on or more of the fans may have stopped working. I had a random reboot problem which i initally thought was related to a mobo driver problem but turned out to be overheating!

brncao said:
it cant be heat issues since it has never done that before. It's definately the drivers (I think). If my Bios needed to be updated, how do I do that?
also, my computer turns back on when I put it to hibernation or standby.

It could still be a heat issue nonetheless. But if it turns back on when in hibernation it sounds like it could be either a PSU or Windows Power Options issue. What are the power options in Windows set to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom