Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnmcque

Solid State Member
Hi all i posted not long ago about a graphics card and got some great help and although i let it trail off i actually got a 7600gs nvidia and its fantastic my games now look great. However enough is never enough and im now toying with the idea of gettin a new processor , much like when i was looking for a graphics card I dont know anything about them lol. I know iv got an athlon 2600+ with 2.08 ghz of ram and i looked in my motherboard booklet and found that it takes a socket a type. This all mean very little to me so i was wondering if any one could tell me any other requirements/ compatibilities there might be that i need to be aware of, also if anyones got any suggestions on a new processor that would be great im wanting to go towards the 3ghz area depending on price.

Thanks alot , srry that i know nothing about computers but i did learn alot from ur posts last time about me graphics card so thought id ask again

you prob have a socket 754 and thats almost dead w/ 939 about a yr and half behind it. When it comes to upgrading processors, most of the time your going to have to upgrade the mobo as well. The only option you have with the 754 is upgrading to a faster althon but thats a waste cause you could get a better cooler for your current one and oc it some (if its not a prebuilt, but by the sounds of it it is). So i wouldn't bother with upgrading your processor until you can build a new system.

And ram isn't measured in ghz.....it mesured in memory bandwidth, so i guess your saying 2gb of ram.

Ah rite thnx for the info, its late and ihave no idea y i put 2.08 ghz of ram lol , i meant the processor is 2.08 ghz, and iv got 1 gig of ram. Lol. Think i might look into oc then although i dont know anything about that either. Iv heard quite a few gamers talking about it though. I assume its making ur processor run faster but making sure its sufficently cooled by a fan? In lamens terms lol

yes, but is yours a prebuilt (ie hp, dell, compaq)? If so, then you will not be able to oc it since the company that built the computer locks the bios.

If you did build it and want to oc but don't know how, then read some of the stickies in the overclocking section to start you off.

No srry i forgot to say mine isnt prebuilt , my uncle built it he owns a small computer shop.

Right iv done a bit more research about my motherboard and stuff, dont know if this will help but might as well try lol. Iv looked into the oc ing slightly and dont really like the sound of it as people suggest it if ur getting a new computer soon ect ect. So i dont know if it can damage as well. Any way my booklet says

stay with me lol

* Support Amd athlon 700mhz ~1.4 ghz processor
*Support Amd duron 600mhz ~1.4 ghz processor
*Support Amd athlon xp1500 + ~ XP3000 + processor
*Support 200mhz/266mhz/333mhz (double data rate) Front side bus frequency processors
*Reserves Support for future amd athlon/duron/ athlon xp processors

It also says on another page Its socket - a 462. This mother board provides a zif socket a.

Thats all the info i can find on the cpu , but i have the mother board booklet if u need to know anything else.

So my question is basically wats the best processor i can get. I believe That its the athlon xp 3200 which is 2.2 ghz ? Iv got the 2600+ xp now which is 2.08 ghz so another question i have now is would i notice much of a difference (if that is the maximum i can go). Im playing games such as the new medieval 2 at the moment but looking at games such as oblivion elder scrolls it looks like it will be the processor that lets me down as its on the minimum requirments (just).

Thnx srry for being a pain but i am learning lol:D

nah, your not being a pain, i was the same way when i was learning how to build my comptuer :p . I wouldn't upgrade the processor on the skt A cause its dead. Skt 754 is almost dead but skt A is dead. The only proc left on newegg for skt A is a Duron. I would just save up your money and build another computer ($1000 is usually good enough for a good gaming rig unless you need the monitor, speakers, etc.). But since your current one isn't a prebuilt, you should be able to oc it some to hold you over till you can build another computer.

But im not too fimilar with the skt A (i wasn't into computers much back then :p), but im sure one of the other experinced guys who have experince with the skt A's will help you out. Ill check back and if they don't ill try to help you out but i prob know as much about skt A as you do :p.

But ill get you started with the basics. Post your current BUS speed and what your ram is rated for. To find out what FSB you have right now, dl cpu-z (just goggle it to find it) and once you have it up, tell us what BUS speed you have, multipler, and what your FSB:RAM (under the memory tab). Or you can printscreen it and post it (but crop it down to the cpu-z window in paint if you do). Just to see if there is anyroom to oc before you try or decide to buy a better cooler.

edit: Oh, and tell us what the motherboard is along with the brand name and model # for your ram.

The highest the socket A got to was the 3200+. And, while the socket was the kick-butt CPU of the day, that day has long passed. You may be able to find a 3000+ or a 3200+ if you're lucky (search for it on here, as a few had them for sale a few months back). You're best bet is to move on up.

While Intel's C2D is top dog right now, and AMD's AM2 is the current stock, you'd do well to look into AMD's 939 line. The prices have really fallen on them since they have reached the end of their life as far as AMD is concerned... and you obviously don't have a problem using non-cutting edge hardware ;) . Plus, it uses DDR RAM, which is what you already have.

A 3000+ s939 can be had online for a shade over $50. A 3800+ is just over $100. You can go dual core with an Opteron 165 for $155+.

As for motherboards, you have the whole spectrum open before you. Since 939 is older tech, the good boards are well known and the lemons are as well. Look for a board with an nForce4 chipset. I'd recommend an Ultra chipset, unless you absolutely have to have SLI. The DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D can be had for $109.99 from Directron, while the ABIT KN8 Ultra can be found for less than $90.

The choice is your's, of course. But the move to a 64-bit CPU brings speed that will blow your mind if you've been on a 32-bit CPU.

Thanks lads thats great! Ill look into it some more and then get back to ya's. Think i mite do a course in IT lol getting alot more interested than i used to be. Thanks again:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom