HDD Question - Raid 0 or 10k RPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayt19

In Runtime
Hello I was just wondering rather you think i just get to Western Digital 250gig 7200 RPM hd's and Raid 0 them or just get a 74gig raptor with 10,000 RPM and maybe get another in the future or w/e.

They are both about the same price.

Get the WD. They perform just fine, run about as fast, and are (obviously) a lot faster.

Doesnt WD make the raptor too?

Everyone is going to tell you to get the 2 250 GB Hard drives, but I say get the raptor.

I have owned a raptor, and used RAID0 and RAID to be honest dosen't come close.

Now before you spam me with benchmarks till I pee my pants I just want to say that TO ME everything seemed faster then my 2 80GB hd's in RAID0.

The downside to RAID 0, is if one HDD fails, the other is taken down with it.

Heh, I just said the normal HD because I don't know much about Raptors, and as a cheap arse, I cannot justify paying that much for 72 gigs of space.

And as for benchmarks, I am NOT going to throw those at you. I hate benchmarks, I skip them in reviews and go straight to the editors opinion.

it doesn't damage them if thats what your thinking. Its just that you have twice the chance(with two HHDs) of losing your data with raid 0. Since the files are being split up on the two HDDS, if one fails then all you have left is half the data of each file (unless a file is below the stripe size) and you can't do anything with only half a file. So the risk with raid 0 is having twice the chance of a drive failure.

i honestly never had a HDD failure. Are they common? Whats the life expectence of a HDD? i say a computer thats powered on about 12-18 hours a day ><

Is this where RAID 0+1 would come in handy?

EDIT: An HDD failure is unexpected...never know when it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom