HDD runs slow with high CPU usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarik :: Tentsu

Baseband Member
Okay, I've got 4 Hard Drives - 2 on my SATA channel, 2 on my IDE channel.

Recently, while copying a large amount of data from my Seagate SATA ST3250823AS (250GB) to an external HDD, I found it ridiculously slow.

This was both read/write and it seemed to use almost 100% CPU.

This was consumed interchangabley by system processes like: The System Process, SMC.exe, wmiprvse.exe, explorer.exe as well as seemingly unrelated programs like iTunes.exe, taskmgr.exe, msnmsgr.exe. Obviously, this completely slowed down all other things on the computer considerably, rendering it almost unusable while copying large amounts of data to the external HDD.

I ran HDTune 2.52.

On my good, working SATA hard drive: A min xfer rate of 26.3MB/s, a max of 53.4MB/s with an average of 42MB/s. Access times being an average of 13.3ms, Burst rate being 68.1MB/s and CPU usage being 13.8%.

On the bad SATA hard drive: A min xfer rate of 2.9MB/s, a max xfer rate of 3.3MB/s and an average rate of 3.2MB/s. Access time of 15.7ms, Burst Rate of 3.3MB/s and CPU Usage of 99.1%.

chkdsk yields no data corruption on the HDD as well as HDDTune's error checking features. This hard drive has served me quite well for a bit over a year. It's strange that it would suddenly die on me like this. =S

The hard drive only has one 232GB partition, and only has 1.78GB free.

Any ideas as to what the problem is and a possible solution?

~Jarik

Have you tried defragging? The files might be pretty jumbled since you have the drive that full. I find all drives run much better if you leave about 5% at least of the drive free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom