HDD and CD-Rom Power issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbsmith1

Beta member
I'm building a computer, and I need it ready in time for an X-mas present, but what my problem is, is I can't get the CD-ROM or HDD to power up when plugged into the Motherboard. I don't know what the issue is, for some reason they just don't want to power up when plugged into the MOBO. When I unplug them from the MOBO, they power up fine, I can feel and hear the HDD spinning, and the CD-ROM lights up and I can open and close the tray. But as soon as I hook them up to the MOBO, they jus don't power up. Any suggestions?

MOBO - ASUS A8N-E
CD ROM - ASUS Lightscribe ?
HDD - ?? I got it out of a friends dell, it's 80GB that's all I know. and that's not the problem because it loads and powers up fine in My pc.

But thanks for any and all help, I'm desperate at this point.

-are u sure u dont hav the (IDE) cable plugged in revers order with the HD and CD-Rom??
thats if ur using IDE not SATA,etc
-are they both enabled (AUTO) in the BIOS?

Is this your first build?
1) Remove EVERYTHING from the case
2) Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. .DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! The outside of some of these can actually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
3) Install the CPU and heat sink.
4) Install the RAM (only install 1 stick for SDRAM, 2 for RDRAM)
5) Install the video card. Do make sure the card is FULLY seated.
6) Connect the monitor to the video card.
7) Connect the power supply to the motherboard. Do make sure you plug in the extra power connector [if used]
8) Connect power to the power supply
9) Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
10) Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. You now have found you have a mounting problem. The board is shorting to the case. If not, then you most likely have a faulty component. You will need to swap parts with known good units ie power supply, cpu, ram, video card.

No, this is actually my 2nd build, the first one went great. I wonder what component would be faulty that would make it work like that, only the MOBO, CASE, CD drive and Video card are new, everything else I picked up here and there ya know, memory from other PC's I wasn't using, hdd from a friends old PC. I just don't understand, all the used stuff worked in other pc's. i have to goto work in the morning so I'll try to run the system tomorrow without the case.

I had the same problem when upgrading to my new harddrive

It was SATA... there is a pin that forces it to work at 150 Mb/s when your mother board doesnt support higher speeds... if you dont set it to 150 Mb/b (in my case), harddrive didnt power up.

if it is IDE, its hard to put them wrong, because of one hole that prevents it to be inserted the wrong way, so, check the jumpers (master, slave?)

Do they power up when conected to MOBO independly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom