Program Installation Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewels

In Runtime
I'm wondering whether installing programs to a different partition to the Windows partition has any benefits over installing into the usual C:\Program Files\ directory. I heard that it helps Windows load faster or something, so I've been blindly following that route without really considering its validity.

Your best bet is to keep all of windows in 1 single partition, then use your second partition for data only. This way in the event of virus's, malware, etc. you can wipe windows clean and still have all your data.

I wouldnt advise doing this. The only time I would reccomend doing this is if there is a space issue or lack of space on C:\, There is no performance benefit. There is however a performance benefit if you move your pagefile to a differnt physical hard drive not just a seperate partition on the same drive.

Also, with some programs, it will cause a problem if you install it somewhere other than C: ... for a while I was running a computer whose default drive was F: instead of C: and there *was* no C: on that computer. It caused untold problems.

Jewels said:
I'm wondering whether installing programs to a different partition to the Windows partition has any benefits over installing into the usual C:\Program Files\ directory. I heard that it helps Windows load faster or something, so I've been blindly following that route without really considering its validity.

who told you this?

Honestly can't remember. Maybe it was actually separating Windows from files. I've always kept files on a separate partition, but program installation locations are currently split between C: and another partition.

I'm getting a new 250 GB drive, and re-installing Windows. At the moment I'm thinking of having a 20 GB partition for Windows (XP Home) and programs, 30 GB for games (I'm not that much of a gamer), and 200 GB for file storage.

well the same arm/heads read all partitions on a HDD
so if you want to do this to increase performance, put games(with large maps n-stuff) and pagefile on a different physical HDD rather than the same one as the OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom