Computer Stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimOrC

Solid State Member
My strange problem is like this:
Sometimes when I start the computer, it won't take me any further than the "Detect Hardware" screen, but when I lie my computer down, like a Desktop machine, it starts perfectly.

Another thing is that when I start the computer lying and lift it up when Windows has loaded, it still works perfectly. I have figured out that it has something to do with heat, because if I have the computer turned off for an hour or so, it works.

I have tried to check the motherboard for any burnt components, but with no success. I have also tried to start the system with no components, except a 32MB SDRAM module. I do have a guess that it's the CPU that's causeing the troubles, since it has come upto a temperature of 60°C+ once, but nothing happened when it reached that level.

My Specs:
ASUS CubX440BX Chip
Intel PIII 800MHZ CopperMine
416MB SDRAM
Leadtek Winfast GeForce 2 GTS/PRO 32 MB

//Thanks for any help

Check where the case vents are located, it is possible when you have your case upright you are blocking the vents and causing a significant lack of ventilation inside.

I have run the computer with an open case and still the same problem, but the CPU temperature is around 38°C, which I don't see as unnormally high. The case and system are both at 32 - 35°C and that's nothing remarkable either as I see it. I have one fan blowing in at thelower front and two blowing out at the upper back.

There aren't any case vents at all on the sides, but it has worked earlier (before the possible overheat). What I really want to know is whether it's the CPU ro mainboard that causes troubles. Another thing to say is that I have 5 HDDs inserted on a 350W PSU, but I can't see that this could cause a problem like that.

//AnimOrC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom