Stating XPpro

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. But this still does not answer the question whether or not re-formatting following a disk deletion still leaves junk on a drive which may or may not corrupt on re-intallation.

In your opinion as a more expert person than I, would you actually recommend the use of an erase disk software, and if so, do you have any recommendations.

he was just giving you the link so that you could see where the boot sector is and what it does. re-formatting does still leave a little junk on a drive which but only in the boot sector. you dont need to use any erase disk software unless you have a virus or are having problems.

It looks like EricB's sig has some of these tools in it.

OK I have 1. Evidence Nuker
2. Kill Disk
3. MicroScope Eraser Disk

For the purpose which is optimum?

A colleague, far more knowledgeable than I has suggeted that I was stupid to persue this chain and that I should thank you all, so yes thanks. I was unaware that formatting did not fill the drive with zeros.

Now that I have wiped (twice) my drive with the MicroSope Eraser disk I have a system that is as new

Incidentally I now have a reply from Microsoft that confrms
a) mbr cannot always be fixed if it is virus ridden and and can get this message:-Windows could not start because of the following ARC firmware startup configuration problem: Did not properly generate ARC name for HAL and system paths. Please check the Windows (TM) documentation about ARC configuration options and your hardware reference manuals for additional information. Boot Failed.
b) mutiple re formats and re-installation may leave junk on drives
c) After some time it may be necessary to use a full security wipe or acquire a new drive

Sorry!

The colleague also said the posters had answered Mr. Arbib's questions even if he did not think so.
There is always a time when one has to actually read and learn for oneself and Master Arbib doesn't appear to appreciate thei aspect of posting yet.
He wll learn or continue to make errors leading him back to forums to solve problems rather than study the subject for himself.
I thought the posters were extremely nice to him and would like to thank you all for giving some much of your valuable time and knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom