Best e6600 cpu fan/hs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
Hi, my uncle is coming down in two weeks to help me in my first build ever (see my sig). I just got off the phone with him and we came to the conclusion that since I plan to OC at least sooner or later, that it's a very wise idea to put an aftermarket fan/heatsink on the cpu right away to be prepared. I've heard things about zalman/scythe ninja ect. I'm looking for the best one.

Some people say that weight can be an issue with aftermarket fan cooling. Is this true? Would it really put alot of pressure on the mobo or something? Thanks, I want air cooling, not water. If I'm going to order, I need to order very soon.

These are the most popular HSF's for the conroes:

TT big typhoon

zalman cnp9500 (there is a led version if you want led but its about $10 more for the led)

sycthe ninja (make sure you use a fan with it)

there probably are a few more good ones but those are the most popular right now.

I think the ninja cools the best out of all of them. The zalman is the lightest, but im not sure about the sycthe and tt (i think they're about the same weight). Either way, if you use these, i wouldn't move your system around alot, b/c all of them exceed the specs for any mobo's weight restriction for cpu coolers.

For example, the zalman cnp9500 is 450g and the asus p5b-deluxe states no more then 200g(i think...its close i know that), so these hsfs are not meant to be moved around alot. But as long as you don't throw around your rig :p, you should be fine with any of them.

Alright I guess I'll go for the Zalman since I see alot of good things about it. People on these boards seem to like them. And...I'll get the blue LED one because so it will match my case, case fans, and PSU which all light up blue lol.

Edit: when I order, the Zalman and some AS5 will be all I need to set this up right? Will I need anything else?

This guide is really great and the p5w and p5b are very similar (as far as arrangement of sb and nb goes). So its really great way to bring down your temps for ocing. Now you don't have to do everything, you could just install the cpu cooler like in the guide and that should be sufficient but if you want a learning experince, try to follow the entire guide to get the best temps with air cooling :). It only took me an hr (i like to be thourogh ;)) to finsih the guide. You prob dont need the purifier though, but i did it just to make sure my cpu's surface was CLEAN :p.

edit: sry...didn't notice you got a ds3 but you can use the guide as a detail refrenece

edit edit: sry i havn't used that guide in a while didn't notice it didn't have the cpu cooler, but its pretty much the same as how he does the south bridge and north bridge, just incorporate his techniques and follow zalman's instructions that come with the 9500.

yeah and the aclohol (make sure to get the kind he suggested) and q-tips you can get at your local drug store. And i fyou wanted to, you could order the purifier but its not necessary. So those two things are all you'll need to order from newegg.

Ok thanks. Yeah and all of my parts including CPU are still in their boxes and have never been open, so I shouldn't have to go to extremes to clean it I guess. Alchohol and q-tips should to the trick.

doing so voids the warranty though right? is the p5w cooling bad enough that you need to do this?

I have the zalman 9500 and i love it. keeps it at like 28 C on low with my antec p180 case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom