Finally gonna get my new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waphlez

Fully Optimized
Hey all, I am very to happy to say that I finally ordered the majority of my computer parts. Unfortunately due to money constraints I am forced to use onboard video, but at this point, anything is better than my 433mhz celeron, 256MB PC100, and some video card from a company that went out of buisness.

I got myself an E6600 conroe duo 2 (can't wait till I receive this baby!)

1GB of Corsair DDR2 667 RAM (only in one stick for now, going to jump up to 2GB dual channel sometime in the future).

GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 motherboard, the 965P version (the one without onboard video) is one of the better conroe motherboards in that price range ($140). I hear it doesn't OC as well as the 965P but from what I hear the newest bios update fixes this problem. If anyone has the 965G and overclocked, tell me your results please.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA 250GB (had this for over a year)

Antec Truepower II 550W PSU

and finally my Lite-On lightscribe DVD-RW optical drive

Should hopefully get this up and running by this weekend if I have time to do so.

I just hope it can play CivIV, that game isn't that demanding, but of course, until Intel gets their latest drivers for the GMA X3000 it won't play games that well at all. I'm not expected humongous performance, but just enough to get me something to do until I can finally get the real deal.

sounds like an awesome build except for the lite-on dvd. i have purchased many before and none have been able to read R+. I also talked to my corporate account managers from ncix and tigerdirect and both said you wouldn't believe the number of lite-ons they have RMA'd and returned.

So you might want to check out the original HP drive. Since HP was the creator of the lightscribe technology. It's $20 more but worth it. If it can't read a disc you'll hear a slow clicking sound. Happened with every one.

cvb724 said:
sounds like an awesome build except for the lite-on dvd. i have purchased many before and none have been able to read R+. I also talked to my corporate account managers from ncix and tigerdirect and both said you wouldn't believe the number of lite-ons they have RMA'd and returned.

So you might want to check out the original HP drive. Since HP was the creator of the lightscribe technology. It's $20 more but worth it. If it can't read a disc you'll hear a slow clicking sound. Happened with every one.

Might be a good idea, except I had this drive for over a year now :p

I was just listing what the full specs are, so far I'm happy with it. Has lightscribe!!! (which I have yet to test out).

I hope it doesn't die out on me, but I will probably get another drive soon anyways because my case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144177&PageStyle=# (wow, thats a lot cheaper than when I bought it)

Came with 2 drive bay covers, and it will be weird having an empty one.

to me lightscribe is a real waste of money.
so you burn a cd which takes aroun 4 minutes but then you have to wait anoth 20 mintues for it to burn the image ont he disk andthen it comes out looking like ****.

i hate the way the gold looks but thats just my 2 cents.

i would just go with a samsung or liteon dvd burner for around 35 bucks

fade2black2004 said:
to me lightscribe is a real waste of money.
so you burn a cd which takes aroun 4 minutes but then you have to wait anoth 20 mintues for it to burn the image ont he disk andthen it comes out looking like ****.

i hate the way the gold looks but thats just my 2 cents.

i would just go with a samsung or liteon dvd burner for around 35 bucks

It was on sale when I bought it so I only paid 40 dollars, so I said what the hey. It's not like I have to use it or the gold disks for that matter.

It's a shame that this E6600 won't feel any real games until I find the extra cash, it's like a fast car in the hands of an old person whose highest they have ever drove was 20mph.

Yea, I never planned on OCing that much anyways, maybe a little but not much more. A stock E6600 @ 2.4GHz still runs very fast, almost always faster than a FX-62 and that is fine enough.

Some of you might think I'm crazy; besides, overclocking won't be that useful to me until I at least get a decent video card.

Well I ordered it on Monday and the tracker says it's expected to be here Friday. I wish they used FedEx as their normal shipping company like it used to be. Even FedEx 3 day shipping usually gets to my house in about 2, and ups is usually a day late.

For example, with FedEx I could order things on Monday or Tuesday and it would be here Thursday or Friday for sure (even Wednesday morning with rush processing will get it to me by Friday).

With UPS if I want to get my things before the weekend I have to order it on Monday, and sometimes I have to wait a week because UPS (nor FedEx) works on weekends. So it's usually either 4 or 7 days.

Also my mom works with FedEx, so anymore money to FedEx can help her :D

I would have saved a few bucks by getting the E6300 and then a nice $130 video card. Unless of course you're saving up for something major like an 8800GTX.

I agree with phrantic unless your saving up for a nice Vid card. The E6300 is still very powerful, more than enough for most things today. With 667mhz ram you can push your E6300 up to around 2.4ghz if the 677 you are getting cant be OC'd. I would get 7600gs if you wanna game now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom