Need help from the pros. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3m0n T34

Beta member
Hi all, i was just browsing this site and was amazed to find the amount of techno knowledge that crams into this forum! Hence i decided to register here and ask you pros to help me with a situation:

I'm buying ( i hope) my first laptop as i will be attending university next year and need a decent laptop. I've sussed out 2 good ones but can't seem to make up my mind, they are:

HP

and

Toshiba

Please check out the links.

HP packs alot of features including an intergrated camera, but Toshiba has the faster processor. In general they have the same specs and (in my opnion) really good systems.

Anywayz i was wondering if u guys can help by telling me which one is future proof and other important factors.

Much appreciated. :D

My girl friend has allmost that exact HP. I really like it and I like HP for prebuilts. I'd strongly recomend it, though I don't have much experience with Toshiba.

Hey I would go with the hp, hp is a very good brand and is quiet cheaper than the Toshiba. And besides the Toshiba is like a heat magnet it runs really hot for a laptop. So go with the hp.

Thanks for the comments so far guys, i would like to ask (if its allowed) if a 1.83ghz core 2 duo processor can run a 2ghz game? I heard from friends that it will run slower as games nowadays can't take advantage of the dual core system.

Also, what do you mean by "prebuilts" ? :confused:

Oh, and another thing. Is there any point in getting a HD DVD drive because the HP laptop has one and i don't know if it will be useful in the near future.

i would like to ask (if its allowed) if a 1.83ghz core 2 duo processor can run a 2ghz game?

Yes, you are allowed.

A 1.83 C2D will run circles around a 2.0GHz P4. My old AMD 2000+ would perform as well as , and even better than (in games) a 2.0 P4. The C2D is a 64 bit processor, whereas the P4 was not (no matter what Intel said), so it performs faster. Plus, the C2D is the top performing chip on the loose. No worries, OK?

Also, what do you mean by "prebuilts" ?

A prebuilt is just that... a cookiecutter computer you pick up and buy off the shelf. HP, Dell, Gateway, eMachine... all these are prebuilts.

Is there any point in getting a HD DVD drive

Not that I can see. Until the market settles and decides which format, I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, the HD and Blu Ray drives are outrageous right now.

Thanks alot for the in-depth solutions Trotter, unfortunately i have one more question to ask (heh heh).

Do laptop prices drop after Christmas and if not, is it a good time to buy one now?

Do laptop prices drop after Christmas and if not, is it a good time to buy one now?
They drop before and after Christmas. You just have to catch the promotion/sale you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom