Another 1 Who needs ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumber4578

In Runtime
I am planning on building a new computer in the next 8 months. AMD. I play alot of gamming. Games like BF2, Fear, ect, ext. I also use the puter for playing MP3's and some photo editing and printing. Should I go with a duel core processor. I want something that will have really nice looking graphics; don't need the best though. Should I go duel core? Do I really loose that much in the graphics potential? What's the best socket type? and what's the Teledo mean? Is that good? I'm running socket A now; little behind the times.

The intel core 2 dous are the best proccessors right now on skt lg775. AMD's x2 are still pretty good if you must go with AMD, but a core 2 dou e6300 oced a little beats an fx-60 with a $400 difference in price :p. And yes i would go with a dual core, cause its more future proof and its great for multi-tasking (ie listining to your mp3 files and photo editing at the same time).

If you give us a budget, we should be able to come up with a computer for ya. Do you need everything (monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers) or just the computer?

You're not a little behind the time but way behind. Yes you should get a dual core. It will enable you to multitask. Like you can be playing BF2 and encode videos or music at the same time. Toledo is a core AMD uses for dual-core cpus.

edit: Yea, darktop is right. The intel socket 775 and the core 2 duo processors are the best right now.

I just need a computer. I have a CRT that will do for now. I have a cd rom, cd rw, dvd rw, and 1.5 gig of pc3200 RAM. It's just regular cheap ram. I rearly over clock. I would like to spend under a grand. I've been an AMD man. I always liked there prices compared with there performance. I wouldn't be afraid to change as long as it's still the same basic set up for building a computer other than the board and chip.

Do you want to upgrade your Mobo as well?

I suggest either an Opteron or X2 4800.

I plan to get an Opteron as soon as I get enough cash, they are great processors.

you won't be able to use your old ram unless you go with the skt 939 but its starting to faid out. Ill come up with a build for ya for just the computer:

CM centurion 5 $45
WD 250gb sataII 16mb $80
gskill 1gb ddr2 800 $115
asus p5b-vinalla $140
TT purepower 600w $105
Core 2 dou e6300 $181
evga 7900gt $236

total: $932 (w/ shipping), $902 (after mail-in-rebates)

or if you can deal with a mid-range graphics card, go with:

core 2 dou e6600 $309
evga 7600gt $130

total: $950 (w/ shipping), $930 (after mail-in-rebate)

If you can deal with the 7600gt for a while, then get the e6600. Either way, use evga's step up program to upgrade to a dx10 card later. Also, you can get another stick of ram later for 2gb.

It's up to you if you want a full tower case, but I don't think its nessecary. Im not fimilar with that TT case so maybe someone else with it can give you some suggestions on it or another full tower case that will met your budget. The good full tower cases (ie armor series or cooler master's stacker) are going to throw you off budget though. But that full tower might be good, like i said wait till someone with that case gives you a suggestion.

evga step-up program

its a great way to upgrade your graphics card without having to dump the old one and pay for the new graphics card in full, just don't wait too long to upgrade (i think it is 90 days). The mid-range dx10 cards will be out early next year which is what you should upgrade to unless you can pay for one of the higher end dx10 cards (they're $450+ right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom