help with my mom's turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
hi all,
i am trying to speed up my moms office desktop.
it's a dell p.o.s. dimension 3000, it has a pentium 4, maybe a little over a year old.
i upgraded the two 256 sticks of dell memory to two 512 sticks of patriot memory with the same memory timings. it helped a little, but not nearly as much as i thought it would.
and i don't want to trade my 4200 to her unless she buys me a conroe haha.
she runs quickbooks, which is certainly a resource hog. but, it seems that the system is slow no matter what it is doing. the only real difference i see by adding the memory was the time to load a web page.
i think there is a way to limit the amount of processes it runs automatically, and i think? this may help.
i'm trying to speed this dog up, any ideas?
any input is appreciated.

also, the cpu is a prescott 2.8, socket 478mPGA.
in cpuz, the spd tab has two columns. the first says:
166mhz
2.0, 3, 3, 7
the second says:
200mhz
2.5, 3, 3, 7
the memory tab says:
4:5 fsb/dram
166 mhz
2, 3, 3, 7
as far as i know the memory should be running at a latency of 2.5, but it says its running at 2.
what's up with that?
obviously i cannot make adjustments in this computers bios, so i need some help, advice, etc.
thanks!

when you press ctrl+alt+del and look in the processes how many are running? also are the lots of icons in the bottom right?

Your best bet is to disable some startup applications by going to start>run and type msconfig.

In the box that appears click the startup tab that will show you everything that's starting up I try to limit my programs to about 6-10 ticked checkboxes :) but it depends on your comp, if your not sure what you can stop then post back with whats in your msconfig startup and we`ll help.

did it happen to come with Norton Antivirus? (last time I saw, Dell was shipping PC's with it)
if so, uninstall it and look for a better, free antivirus program. Norton is a real resource hog.

okay, there are about a million things running at startup. also another million services running.
i disabled everything but the microsoft services and startup programs. it helped it load windows faster, but still no help overall speed. i am not sure which microsoft stuff i can disable and still have functionality (ie internet, program access, etc).
i don't have time to type out all the things in the startup and services sections...like i said there are A LOT.
i have been thinking maybe i can get an oem copy of xp from newegg and install it on this computer...
i did that when i built my rig, and it didn't come with all this other annoying crap. and loads in about 8 seconds.
it's not really the load time that bothers me, it's the processing time of everything i try to do on this computer. of course, i usually use mine...and so me using this one is like going from a 68 camaro ss to a ford pinto.
any more input?
or is there a way i can copy/make a log of all the boxes that are checked in msconfig so i can post it and do not have to type them all out?

btw apokalipse, whats a good suggestion of a free antivirus?
i had the one with the umbrella (i can't remember the name of it).
but i un-installed it when i started getting error messages about "malicious" software attacks. eeeeee lol scary.

Antivir?

theres also AVG, Avast and bit defender.

You could just reinstall xp yes and that is what i would do as long as your mother doesnt mind losing all the stuff on the pc or you can back up.

yeah, i think that's what i will do. she will need to back up her important stuff (especially quickbooks) because she uses it a lot for our business.
i guess using the system recovery disc that came with her pc would be pointless, as it has all the crap i am trying to get rid of on it...?

you can just uninstall the crap once installed, or do it now go into the control panel add and remove section and remove things that arnt even used.

also a defrag after you have done that will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom