Need Advice Please, Buying new chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootleg23

Beta member
Hello,

This is my first post and i need some advice from people who know what they are talking about.

I want to upgrade my current intel 520 2.8ghz chip to the highest rating offering from intel the last intel 670 3.8ghz chip. now this chip retials for about $600 us still but i can find a deal on ebay for under $300.

My question is it worth it? or just wait it out and get a new computer.

My current specs are:
Abit Dura-max mother board 925 chipset
intel 520 2.8 processor. P4 HT 775 socket
ATI X700 PCI-E
Raptor 36gig 10,000 RPM HD
1 gig ddr2 ram

the computer is perfect as is. just toying with the idea of a new chip. or should i say screw it and get whatever is new down the road.

thanks
simon

Welcome to TF. Take your coat off and stay a while... :)

Your specs are dated but still decent. Getting a new chip would in fact help your current system, but here is the question. What do you do with it mostly? Surf/email? Game? Media stuf??

from the looks of what you have now. if your budget is limited or tight right now... a new chip and another 1GB stick would work wonders for speed. But you are still on a dated mobo.

SO I guess it boils down to what do you have the money for? Taking the HDD, RAM, GPU from your system now and buying a new MOBO/CPU combo (maybe adding anohter stick of ram) would open up your options for upgrade later.

Yea, I second that down the road getting a new motherboard will be the best choice for upgrading.

Maybe you want to look at a E6300 conroe 2 duo ($180) & a decent motherboard ($100-$140). I'm sure your RAM should work with conroe boards since it's DDR2.

The E6300 might possibley be faster than a 3.8 GHz P4 (I don't remember the performance of P4s, but I know they aren't that good for the price). These dual core CPUs are miracles.

Like posted above - you can buy a new motherboard, CPU, and memory for $600 and get better performance.

The E6300 easily beats the 670 - just overclock it and it will totally destroy it.

thanks for your comments,

I did what you guys are saying when i purchased my PC about 2 years ago, and im going with the limited upgrade i have.

after this one time upgrade i would get a new pc later.

When i purchased my pc 2 years ago i planned to up-grade it. and nows that time.

I use my computer for surfing/gaming/ and illegal opperations :)

i also plan on getting vista as soon as its 100% cracked...... i mean avaialble in store.

thanks
simon

Beefcake said:
Yea, I second that down the road getting a new motherboard will be the best choice for upgrading.

Maybe you want to look at a E6300 conroe 2 duo ($180) & a decent motherboard ($100-$140). I'm sure your RAM should work with conroe boards since it's DDR2.

The E6300 might possibley be faster than a 3.8 GHz P4 (I don't remember the performance of P4s, but I know they aren't that good for the price). These dual core CPUs are miracles.

Even questioning if the E6300 is faster than a 3.8 ghz P4 is laughable :D :D It's even funnier that they are selling pentium 4's still, especially for that price

KingAustin said:
Even questioning if the E6300 is faster than a 3.8 ghz P4 is laughable :D :D It's even funnier that they are selling pentium 4's still, especially for that price

Well P4s are such a joke that I forgot what their performance is.

You could buy a new motherboard, and new dual core for only a little bit more than the p4 on ebay. Everything else would be compatible with your new mobo. That is definitely the way to go. It would be faster now, and a ton more future proof than just upgrading your processor now.

Don't go with the P4 at all. Intels Core 2 generation absolutely kills any previous Intel generation except more the first Core generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom