Startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

eira2000

Beta member
Hi Could someone please help. This is my first problem with home computer. My computer was working fine in morning, when i went on it in evening it just had a black screen saying boot error file missing windows/C/system32/config or something similar to that. It says to run windows repair from the original CD, I try to load the CD but it will not start. I have changed the settings so that it has only one strat up which is CD, others are disabled but still dosen't work. I also tried reinstalling the raid drivers but nothing. Does anyone know what I can do?
My second problem is my work computer has two hard drives the system was crashing continuously so thoght it might be one of the hard drives. Formatted one of them and tried using it still crashed was told if that happened to unplug the formatted one, still crashed, so I tried unplugging the unformatted one and installing OS on the othewr drive it still crashed. What could be the problem any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any help.

was it "C:\Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM"?

if so, then:

put the XP CD in on boot, and press a key when it says to boot from it

when it has finished loading, press 'r'
the administrator password should be blank if you have not set one

once you get a command prompt, type the following commands:

"del C:\windows\system32\config\system" (without quotes)

"copy C:\Windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system"

"exit"

the PC should restart. take out the XP CD, and it should boot fine.

Thank you so much I shall try that this evening when I get home will let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom