Overclocking G-Force 6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrugFreeMan

Solid State Member
I've been trying to find things on overclocking my nVidia G-Force 6600 256, but pretty much all i can find is stuff on 6800's bc they have an "Auto Overclock" option that mine does not have.. Mine does have an "Detect Optimal Freq" option under manual overclock that changed my core clock from 300mHz to 308 and changed Memory clock from 500 to 518.. I don't know anything about this but that didn't seem to be much of a change..

After this i downloaded a video card stress test and left it on for almost an hour but couldn't get it to say anything other than 0... did i miss somthing?

Basically i want to know what would be the highest overclock that i can get without quickly killing my video card?

find yourself a different stress test that works. other than that you are doing things correctly. just bump the core and mem speeds up a little and then test. repeat until its not stable and then back it down some.

i use riva tuner for overclocking and ati tool to test for errors (scan for artifacts).

use riva tuner (make sure you are adjusting the high performance 3d settings and not 2d settings) to bump up the speed a few MHz then scan for artifact for a few hours. then restart and bump the speed again and test and restart ad nauseum till you start getting artifacts. bump the processor speed down a few MHz from where u start getting artifacts and start bumping up the ram MHz a few at a time then scan for artifacts and restart and do it again.... it takes a long long time.

cwiz said:
i use riva tuner for overclocking and ati tool to test for errors (scan for artifacts).

use riva tuner (make sure you are adjusting the high performance 3d settings and not 2d settings) to bump up the speed a few MHz then scan for artifact for a few hours. then restart and bump the speed again and test and restart ad nauseum till you start getting artifacts. bump the processor speed down a few MHz from where u start getting artifacts and start bumping up the ram MHz a few at a time then scan for artifacts and restart and do it again.... it takes a long long time.

heh, you and i have very different techniques.

i slam it up around 15mhz at a time, testing for 5 mins on each, run 3dmark06 every other increace, untill it artis, where i drop back a few, and test for a few hours, then repeat with mem. hehe. maybe i am just not patient enough.

So far i have just messed with my setting a bit.. I downloaded the new drivers and it changed my mem mhz from 700 to 1.00ghz on its own.. From there i changed my core from 300-350 and my mem from 1.00-1.07 and just used the "Test Settings" option and just kept playing with it until it would let me use the new settings... I did a simple video stress test with CS:S and it raised my fps from about 72-82... I also changed some all my video card settings to Performance other than quality

As far as cooling goes it has a stock fan mounted and i added another one in the side of my case that blows right on it.. If this isnt enough i have another fan i can mount right above it to blow down on it

I have a geforce 6600 pci-e. some cheapo brand (chaintech) it is at 371 core, 631 memory. Using rivatuner t overclock and ATItool to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom