Jumpy gaming after overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Max2559 said:
Temp on Northbridge - Hmm just not sure actually. I say this as im positive the thermal sensors on these DS4 boards are all faulty. I get system temp as 34 - Ok that i can believe.
Bit then CPU temp 23 - How can that be? - It cant be lower than the system temp that makes no sense!

Unless im missing something? Ive got a sonic tower on the e6600 with a mid mounted fan - and good case fans so im not overly concerned about temp. - Also if it was the temp of the northbridge it would not occur straight away from the moment i set the O/C would it? Surely it would take some time to overheat?

hmmm from what you are telling me, I am stumped. sorry but I dont know what you can try that you havent yet.

does the RAM stay at 1:1 with the FSB when you overclock? (check using CPU-Z that it reports the same frequency as the FSB)

it is a strange problem... it is fine offline, but not fine online. i would have thought an internet issue, but as you say it is fine online with stock clocks, that has somewhat confused me.

i would say that if it can prime for 5 hours, and play FEAR OK offline, then there is no reason why it should not play OK online...

is it the same for ANY game with an "online" mode, or just particular games?

have you noticed your internet in any way affected? try some DLs, and then with the OC, and see if the average rate drops or something. how is your internet setup, network or USB?

Downloads are fine when overclocked. Im WIRED into our home network through our crappy D-Link Wireless router.

As for the games - Bf2 and Bf2142 (almost the same game for all intents and purposes here) are the only games ive tried. I dont play FEAR online.... and never have tried. I have GTA sanandreas too. But dont you have to pay to play that over the net.

try a game online that doesnt use the BF2 engine... as in my experiences, that isnt the smoothest of games.

Fear Combat would be a good game to DL, seeing as you like fear. it is free, google it. if that runs jumpy when overclocked, then to be honest, i have utterly no idea what the problem is.

sorry i cant help anymore... :confused:

joshd said:
try a game online that doesnt use the BF2 engine... as in my experiences, that isnt the smoothest of games.

Fear Combat would be a good game to DL, seeing as you like fear. it is free, google it. if that runs jumpy when overclocked, then to be honest, i have utterly no idea what the problem is.

agreed bf2 isn't the best game for that. actually i use to have the same problem, im pretty sure alot of people did actually, but it was one of the patches 1.2 maybe? but my computer would not play it what so ever, everything was glitchy, and my friends computer ran it fine. Then the next patch came out 1.3? and my computer ran if perfect and my friends starting glitching bad.

im assuming your computer runs it fine when not oc'd? did your computer ever run it good on the internet oc'd? maybe on an older patch?

personally i think EA is slacking on the quality of their games.

CrazeD said:
Perhaps the over clock is messing with the on-board ethernet. I'd look into picking up a cheapie NIC somewhere and try that.

This is Possible. I can vouch for it because when I use my Nvidia NIC as opposed to my Marvel one I get Blue screens.

I got one more possible solution. Did you run 2 instances of prime95? Or just one? That's very important to make sure you CPU is stable. The reason that you have to run 2 instances is becasue there is 2 cores.

reggie_da_man said:
I got one more possible solution. Did you run 2 instances of prime95? Or just one? That's very important to make sure you CPU is stable. The reason that you have to run 2 instances is becasue there is 2 cores.

that wouldnt explain why he can play fine off line, and jumpy online though would it?

i think his problem is BF2 itself more than anything. that game, although it has good gameplay and nice graphics, is horrible. takes 100 years to load, then when it has loaded you still have to sit with 1 fps for a minute at the start of each map for textures to load...

i definatly think a smoother game needs to be used for testing purposes.

I did not run two of the prime programs... instead i used prime and a chess engine... Both cores were maxing out.

I was wondering if it could be anything to do with my RAID controller? - Or is this just impossible. - Would have thought that that would mess up my offline play too though.

So - I guess i will just leave it at stock when online... - Its fast enough and with the graphics card overclocked there is really not that much noticable difference other than loading times.

Thanks for all your help though, appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom