I want to build a handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooblybob

Beta member
I have given up hope on the whole ipod deal i have had 2 and they both break all the time. My solution is to build a small fairly basic computer that just runs DOS. I figure I have two options take a laptop motherboard and find someway to downsize it? or customize something with gumstix ( not sure if hard drives can be connected wikipedia says yes, but not sure how reliable this information is.). Basically i want to hook up an 80gig hard drive to a small motherboard with maybe 128 or 256 RAM, a small screen that is less than 6(possibly touchscreen?) inches and some sort of control system, internal speakers, with audio out (video out optional but prefered if not to much more expensive or trouble), and some sort of portable energy system (an old laptop battery, a brand new lithium ion, or even AA's?). I have messed around with computers before, but i am having some trouble getting started on this project. Tips? Help? Specifically does anyone know what i can do for a motherboard?

Have you thought of trying ANOTHER COMPANY besides Ipod??? they make MP3 players a lot cheaper and would work a lot better than what you are wanting to do... I still say go for it and try it, but unless you inspired to try something new... Why bother?

Try one of these... They might work better... and be more functional than JUST a player...
http://www.palm.com/us/

wooblybob said:
I have given up hope on the whole ipod deal i have had 2 and they both break all the time. My solution is to build a small fairly basic computer that just runs DOS. I figure I have two options take a laptop motherboard and find someway to downsize it? or customize something with gumstix ( not sure if hard drives can be connected wikipedia says yes, but not sure how reliable this information is.). Basically i want to hook up an 80gig hard drive to a small motherboard with maybe 128 or 256 RAM, a small screen that is less than 6(possibly touchscreen?) inches and some sort of control system, internal speakers, with audio out (video out optional but prefered if not to much more expensive or trouble), and some sort of portable energy system (an old laptop battery, a brand new lithium ion, or even AA's?). I have messed around with computers before, but i am having some trouble getting started on this project. Tips? Help? Specifically does anyone know what i can do for a motherboard?

Yeah that sounds crazy unless you're very good with electronics, have a lot of spare time and some extra cash laying around.

Palms are decent but I'd suggest a PocketPC...and if you're bored, play with Linux on it...:)
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2003/11/13/linux_pocket_pc.html

I admire your enthusiasm, you WILL need this. MICROSOFT are have the highest grossed profit in the world and they failed it in partnership with samsung with there small tablet pc nicknamed the Origami project.

Have a go it'll be a blast... Then again the idea of spending the money on a Geforce 7950 is rather more.... pleasing :p

Spend years in college studying embedded electronics and computer science. Then think about building one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom