restarting to a previous time

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbt93

Beta member
Hey I've been a member here for about 5 seconds so I don't know if this has been posted/asked before but how would you restart a windows 2000 professional (I don't know any of my computer's specs other than that) to when you bought it? As my computer has been becoming increasingly slow over the past few months and I would like to just start it up from the beginning and kill any file or app I haven't used. Thanks for your help.

youd have to format the hard drive , reinstall windows and thenn the drivers for your motherboard, thats basicly it,, so youd want to find out your motherboards model and get the drivers before you do anything else

Well you could take the type and name of the computer if its a HP or Dell or Compaq and then go to the web site of that company and find the support tab and drivers for the type of computer you have. If its home made then you have to take the side off and get a name and number from the motherboard.

Download CPU-z here.

Use that to figure out what make and model all of your components are. After you've figured that out, Google it and see if you can find the drivers.

The drivers you'll be looking for depend on how many on-board components you use on the motherboard. If you have on-board sound, video, and ethernet, then you'll need a Chipset driver, a Sound driver, a Video driver, and an Ethernet driver.

Now, to re-format...

I'm pretty sure you need a bootdisk to re-format W2K. You can get one from www.bootdisk.com. You'll have to put it on a floppy or a CD/DVD and boot with it.

After you've booted with it, you'll probably have a screen where you can type commands. Type:

fdisk

And that should take you to a screen with like four options, I think you take the bottom one. Basically just navigate through to where you can delete partitions and then make new ones. Delete whichever partitions you don't want anymore, and make new ones.

After you've done that, type:

format C:

And it will ask if you want to format your C: partition, you say 'yes'. Repeat that and change the drive letter for all the partitions you want to reformat.

After you have reformatted, you can install your W2K via your install CD, just boot up with it.

Well, I hope I didn't make you more confused than you were. :p

P.S. If I'm wrong about the bootdisk thing, sorry, I've never used W2K before. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom