Dell.com vs. Cyberpower.com/Ibuypower.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenplantseed

Baseband Member
Desktop vs. Laptop: The 3000 dollar question!

I posted here yesterday about getting a directX 10 notebook GPU sometime soon and heard a lot about getting a desktop, instead. All I want to know is if there is a justifiable reason... It's a little hard to throw around 3 grand, if you know what I'm sayin'. I can get some great graphics on a notebook and take it with me everywhere, or I can get a desktop that has super graphics and take it nowhere. Check out this specs lineup:

Desktop:
-Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066 FSB)
-2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
-250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
-Dual Drives: 48x Combo + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
-1GB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card
-Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card

Notebook:
-Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
-2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
-80GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
-8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
-512MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX
-Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition

These two setups cost within 100 bucks of each other. All I want to know is if I'm going to notice any difference on a desktop that would overwhelmingly compel me to buy it over the laptop. Talk to me, sweet cheeks.

That card does not do DX10. Get the 8800GTX.

The desktop is much faster.

Did you consider building it yourself instead of buying a pre-built?

turtile said:
That card does not do DX10. Get the 8800GTX.

The desktop is much faster.

Did you consider building it yourself instead of buying a pre-built?

I can't do a prebuilt... for a few reasons. Have to stick with the big companies, and probably Dell. Oh, and I'm waiting to buy the thing until the 8800 GTX comes as an option... that's good advice.

Yoad said:
mind sharing those reasons with us? :p

-Jo

I don't mind sharing at all: I make my own decisions, but I'm not paying for this thing; my parents are... and they won't let me do it. That's a bit of a drag, but it does limit my options. Dell offers pretty good parts and service, though. That's the company I think I'll go through, unless there's someplace else I don't know about.

Heres what I suggest then,[of course, that depends if you can actually build your own computper];

Go to you're mom/dad/both of them, tell them that buying a pre-build computer that some big company made like Dell, would be far more expensive than buying it yourself [even if you buy part-to-part what Dell offers you, I PROMISE you it will varies from 25%~60% cheaper than Dell's prices], thats one issue.

Other than that, Buying from Dell will mean the real features of this computer will be locked to you, because Dell doesn't want you messing with your computer, that will cause them troubles because the rate of 'broken' computers will raise if they will allow every consumer to do as he wishes with his computer [Even though that how it SHOULD be.]

third and last point you should raise, the warranty that Dell will provide you is far far far more inferior than the Warranty any big part manufacturer [or Newegg/TirgerDirect] would provide you, that is a big issue, when spending so much money on a computer, you wanna know its insured as good as it can be, so it doesn't go to the trash within a year or so.

Thats my suggestion, you take it and do w/e you want with it, Almost all [perhaps not the numbers I wrote, such as the %'s cheaper] the above written are proven facts not just my assumptions btw, however that still comes down to your will and your ability [or inability] to build a computer yourself.

Have a nice day :)

-Jo

Greenplantseed said:
I can't do a prebuilt... for a few reasons. Have to stick with the big companies, and probably Dell. Oh, and I'm waiting to buy the thing until the 8800 GTX comes as an option... that's good advice.

Pre-builts = Dell, HP, etc.

8800GTX is already out. I own an 8800GTS.

But yeah, go get that Dell man. Dells are so awesome! :rolleyes: Don't come to us when your computer explodes, or when you want to upgrade it.

Go with compaq, you can upgrade everything in those.

My friend had a skt 939 with a 3500+ stock in there, he bought a X2 4400+ and a 7900gt, along with a new PSU and everything works fine.

If you plan on upgrading when the time comes and still getting a prebuilt Compaq is the way to go.

Ridlyn said:
Go with compaq, you can upgrade everything in those.

My friend had a skt 939 with a 3500+ stock in there, he bought a X2 4400+ and a 7900gt, along with a new PSU and everything works fine.

If you plan on upgrading when the time comes and still getting a prebuilt Compaq is the way to go.

rofl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom