Memory Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

polakbob

Baseband Member
I have a custom-built machine that has only 512 mb of ram. I just bought the same stick to put in the 2nd slot but when i turn on my computer after installing it, the computer beeps and the monitor doesn't turn on. Has anyone seen something like this?

Which slots do you have them in. Also check the motherboard's manual, on which is the correct slots, in order to boot correctly. Try other slots. Also it might be possible that the stick you got is bad. But check the other slots first.

There are only 2 slots to put the memory in. If i put the new stick in where the other stick was, the computer boots just fine. If I put either stick in the 2nd slot, the computer doesn't boot.

- What motherboard is it?
- What type of memory are you using?
- Are you sure they are exactly the same (the same memory speed)?

To find out your motherboard model, download a program called CPU-Z:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Then go to the mainboard tab, it will tell you. Also if you said neither stick works in the 2nd slot. Maybe it's possible the 2nd slot is faulty.

Thanks for the tip. Interesting results. Everything matched very well except that the 2nd stick has 2 different frequencies. In my old stick, under the SPD tab, there is one timing table listed;

Frequency 200 Mhz
CAS# Latency 2.5
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Tras 8

The new stick listed This;

Frequency 133 Mhz 200 Mhz
CAS# Latency 2.0 2.5
RAS# to CAS# 2 3
RAS# Precharge 2 3
Tras 6 8

As you can see, there are to columns in the new stick. Would this make a difference. I physically adjusted the values in my BIOS to match the old stick's columns but to no avail. Any ideas?

Could it mean that the motherboard cannot handle more then 512mb ram? Because I had the same happen to me. I had this motherboard that wouldn't post when I put more than 512 ram on it. What is the specs on your motherboard, model, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom