Opty 165 OC'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
I'm lookin at switching to an opty 165. i hear they oc like beasts, how high could i expect to get one?

if i get it up to 2.5-2.6 GHz, will it really be that much faster than my X2 3800+?

are the 2 comparable as far as 2 GHz for an opty = 2 GHz for a x2? basicly, are we comparing apples to apples

i noticed the 3800+ has twice the hyperthreading (though i turn HT way down to get a stable overclock) and the opty has twice the L2 cache... anyone know how much faster the opty would be?

I've heard of people getting their Opty's up to 3.0GHz on air. This requires a specific stepping version though, so its kinda iffy. I too have a 3800+ X2 and am thinking about buying a 165 (**** they are only $150 on newegg). I have my X2 up to 2.5 GHz so switching at best would give me an addtional MB of cache and 400MHz. Is it worth it for $150 ? Im leaning more towads yes.

i have both procs and my opty goes to to 2.8 stable and my 3800 2.6 stable, i like both for different reasons but if i had to choose between them i would prolly take my opty cause the only way the 3800 outperforms it is running and insane amount of crap at one time......

Opterons over clock so well because they are made to run a lot faster than they do. They clock them down for superb stability, since most people use them for servers. So when you over clock them, you're essentially bumping it up to the speeds it was made to run at.

That's why you can go so far on air and without voltage changes.

See sig.

I know it's not a 165, but it gives you an idea of what you can do with a good one on a motherboard that isn't really designed for crazy overclocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom