Cant Get To A Desktop - WinXP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knowledge

Baseband Member
Alright, I have a Windows XP SP2 Pro box, and whenever I try to boot to a desktop, I get the "Windows Loading" page with the loading bar, then right after that goes away, nothing happens. The screen goes black, the HD stops spinning, and I assume everything gets locked up since the CAPS LOCK button doesnt turn on the LED on the keyboard.....

I could however, boot into safe mode.

So far I have tried running the Windows XP Setup Disc and using the repair console I did a "Fixboot" and "FixMBR" which to my knowledge, re-writes the boot sections of the hard drive. However, no help.

Then I tried while in safe mode, to restore it to a working restore point in "System Restore" - That also was no help.

So now I have run out of ideas.... If anybody has an idea, or can think of anyway to help, I would sure apreciate it. Thanks In Advance!

-----

AMD Athlon 1800+
1gb SD Ram
MSI Motherboard
60gig HD

sounds like you are out of options..

how was your system running before all of this happened? did you install/uninstall any programs prior to this?

Thanks for the replies...

Warez Monster, As far as I know, nothing unusual happened. However, this isnt my personal box. This is actually my Uncle's box....

an51r, Yes I did. It said it fixed something but still- nothing.

I had the same thing when I was installing an AGP driver on my mobo, I just had to dl the latest version and all was good.

I'd suggest booting in safe mode, removing all mobo, graphics card, sound card etc drivers, then see if it boots normally. If it does go to all the various manufacturers sites, and dl all the latest versions of all the drivers you need, then install them, starting with the mobo drivers.

Hope that helps...

OKay, thanks for the reply. I will try that as soon as I get a chance and I'll let you know what happens....

I have recently encountered the same problem. After the Windows loading screen it just goes black and doesn't shift. It first happened when I accidentally enabled the onboard sound in the Bios.

For some strange reason I find that unplugging USB devices can sometimes get it passed that point and the OS will appaear with the welcome screen and allow me to log on.

I haven't found a cure for this problem yet so I'll probably just do a format and reinstall everything as I think there is possibly a driver conflict which requires a certain IRQ to be available or something along those lines. :l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom