Looking for a faster hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
I am looking for a second hard drive to transfer data to when I reformat my main drive and reinstall windows. I will also use it to hold large files. Anyway I currently have:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I think its this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148139

Well basically its a 16 MB cache 7200 RPM drive. I am looking for something faster. I think it might be "the slow link in the chain" sorta speak. Windows takes quite a long time to load and its only getting slower even though I have no adware / viruses and nothing other then whets required on startup and the HD has recently been defragged.

So can someone recommend me a faster hard drive around the 250 Gb. range from Newegg?

Also what is Perpendicular Recording and does it truly help make things faster?

BtwÂ… I have the Gigabyte 965-DS3 mobo.

You arent really going to notice a huge difference with that 16mb cache. The only way you are going to see a big difference in boot up times is if you use a 10k raptor as you boot drive. With your motherboard you might have to buy a couple of 150gig 10k raptors to get the space you want.

you could get a raptor 10,000 rpm hdd. or you could get an scsi hdd. which i dont know too much about.

scsi is ex*****ve fairly large hard drives that are used a lot in high end servers. for 200gig, I think it is like $450. 15,000 rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom