No boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparticus

Beta member
I'm sure I am not the only one to have this problem but here goes. I am getting a computer ready for my daughter for when she leaves to be out on her own. Its an older machine with a AMD Athlon processor that worked when last used but now it has difficulties. I am putting in a used 30 gig HD (still has windows XP and other files on it) in the machine but when I try to boot up the machine it doesnt POST and I get nothing on the monitor. The green light on the monitor flashes but other than that I see nothing. I installed a new power supply as part of getting the machine ready to use as I had "borrowed" one out of it to fix another machine. I swapped out a known good power supply to rule out a defective part and it still has the same issue. I swapped out video cards, same problem. Do I need to reformat the HD?

Thanks for any help you guys may have for me!

So you get no beeping or anything. It's probably your motherboard , CPU or memory.

if its not posting at all try flashing ur bios just take out the battery for a minute and then replace and try to start the machine and yes u will have to format the drive using a windows install disk do you know the hard drive works do you have another machine you could connest it to to try it out are you sure all ur cables are secured tightly

The hard drive even though old works very well, I just downloaded all the important stuff from it to my other drive before I tried to install it in this machine. I did a reset of the cmos jumper for a few min but that didnt help. I tried several different ram sticks but all with the same result, no POST. Even with out a hard drive installed I should at least get something on the monitor shouldnt I?

Bios battery, Looks like a large watch battery on the motherboard.
Take it out and go to walmart or radio shack and get a new one.

Just thought I would do a followup on the problem I was having. It turned out to be the MOBO. Wasnt too bad for price, $52.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom