Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandlingill

Beta member
Hi.

I have been looking at the following laptop:

Link

The CPU specs say it is "2.00 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB"

I am trying to learn more about cache, and I have already searched this forum to find the difference between L1 cache and L2 cache. What I don't understand is why this laptop appears to have no L1 cache?

I understood from the posts I read that L2 cache feeds L1 cache so I can only think that L1 cache isn't needed on this system or that they have just neglected to mention how much of it there is. This seems strange, since L1 cache is faster than L2 cache.

Does anybody have an explanation for why this is?

Thanks

Short for Level 1 cache, a memory cache built into the microprocessor. See under cache.

Short for Level 2 cache, cache memory that is external to the microprocessor. In general, L2 cache memory, also called the secondary cache, resides on a separate chip from the microprocessor chip. Although, more and more microprocessors are including L2 caches into their architectures.

http://www.karbosguide.com/hardware/module3b2.htm

older article, but still a decent read about it.

Thanks for your reply Nukem. It is a good article, yes.

My question was more to do with why the laptop appears to have no L1 cache. The specs say it has "4 MB L2 cache" but there is no mention of having any L1 cache. I am trying to figure out if it has any or if there is a reason why the size of its L1 cache isn't mentioned.

I hope that explains my question a little better.

Thanks.

For some reason, most people think L2 cache is more important. I don't see too many general CPU specs that include L1 cache, but pretty much all of them include L2 cache... Not much you can do about it other than research!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom