Putting together my ultimate machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I sound like a tard, but what exactly are you using this computer for. Because from the looks of it, it's just a monster server?

gmanych: why don't you read the whole fu***** post before going ballistic. Not everyone build a gaming rig, some high performance computers have other uses other than games. Like maybe video editing or something.

and opteron 285's arent on am2 as well.. didn't see how you didnt catch that one... newer opterons are in the 1000's?

and if you don't mind my asking, what is this db your gonna be using?

Look, right now as it is, there is no reason to buy an AMD system. Core 2 Duo is pretty much the only good option.

Get the quad-core QX6700, which will put those two opterons to shame.

The General said:
Look, right now as it is, there is no reason to buy an AMD system. Core 2 Duo is pretty much the only good option.

Get the quad-core QX6700, which will put those two opterons to shame.

i totally forgot about the qx6700... i will have to agree with general.... qx6700 takes the cake for anything at this moment.. and by a very large margin

i wish this dude would tell us what he is using this machine for already that would really help us out.

also dont get 2 7600's
for the price of both of them you can get a 7900gt that will eat them

Don't mean to be elusive with the purpose. This machine will be my primary home workstation. I am finishing up a DB (side) project that I need some steady HP to complete. Someone asked what kind - MySql ==> ISAM I am building the ISAM (speedy), along with the DB I am delivering a 64 bit driver to access it - I expect to be done in 3 or 4 months. Why I bring this up is because my present machine contains some of the equipment for the new build (285's) I am quite fond of the performance - I hear ya on the C2D much less Xtreme but 4 cores at 2.6 is enough for the new year!!! New is the Lian Li and Mobo +SATA cont. and +4 ram + video (stuck on which one and SLI or no). When I make the leap back to Intel - it will be costly and way too costly for today...

I guess I still didn't answer it - - - The largest one thing I want out of this machine is to run Adobe Production Studio - specifically Premiere Pro 2.0 and After Effects 7.0 without a reason to start another project while I am waiting on the machine to catch up to itself...

if you want it for production a core 2 build would do great.

the system your trying to build would be a server for files and what not

tnsnames said:
I am quite fond of the performance - I hear ya on the C2D much less Xtreme but 4 cores at 2.6 is enough for the new year!!!

If you think that Opterons are at all comparable to Core 2 Duo's performance wise, then you have been misled.

A Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.83Ghz ($189) will out perform your Opterons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom