is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norcent

Banned
After you format your hard drive people can still access what was on it before? My friend told be that cause i formatted somebodies computer and it had a bunch of personal info on it and they asked me if it was gone and i said yes so is it gone? Or can somebody still access it if that person has the internet?

umm...no. tho it depends if it was a quick format or a full format. a full format completely erases the drive, while a quick just erases the FAT(file allocation table). and even if he did a quick format as soon as anything was saved to the drive, it overwrites what was there. and even if somebody had the time, programs, patience, and nerve to hack into it just to get his files, it would take a while to get the files off. (ive done it before...accidently formatted(quick luckily) so i used this program to get the files off, and now i am listening to music that came form that drive (tho its a little skippy, its there)

...yes it's true. The data is still there...and it can even be recovered after multiple formats. It depends how dedicated the person is, generally people won't bother, but if it's top-secret data...

If you want it gone for good, with no possibility of recovery, you should use an app that will write over everything multiple times...that'll do the trick. Mmm though I don't know one off of the top of my head, there's plenty of free ones on Google (then again, do you trust 'em;)).

:)

If you did a low-level format, then there is no way to get the data back.

If you did that "quick format" crap then yeah, it's quite likely that you'll be able to get the data back.

Norcent said:
i used windows 98 to format that drive.

Okay?

The General said:

If you did that "quick format" crap then yeah, it's quite likely that you'll be able to get the data back.

And you do realize that there are far superior alternatives to using 9-year old software to format drives, right?

Gparted for instance...

The General said:
yes there is. it's just harder.

often, it involves an electron microscope, and a lot of time.

but a situation like that is extremely unlikely.

As far as I know the answer is NO. The data is really still there and it can be recovered. One of my friends has this software installed on his pc at work and I gave him my hdd in order to clean it. I hope it works!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom