Upgrading Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talis

Baseband Member
Hello,

I am trying to help my father choose a new video card for out Old Dell Dimension 4500, and i have a few questions.

Currently it has a NVDIA GeForce MX 420 with 64MB. 32Bit.
When purchasing a new card does the memory on the video card now have to be the same with the newcard? Can i get a 256 or 128 Mb Video card and have it be 64 MB.

I Know the Mother board is 184-pin and DDR 333, Because of this, must get a DDR video card? Or can i get a GDDR card. Does it even matter?

EDIT: I Know i will get atleast one comment about using search, sorry i kind posted before thinking.

The problem i can forsee you having is finding a card to work with your DEll Dimension because its an old pc your upgrade limits are maxed out at about 128mb before it starts to share memory with your RAM (On board Graphics card memory is better) I upgraded my Graphics card on my old motherboard to a 9600XT which is a respectable card but struggles with game more demanding than Call of Duty 2 , however the rest of your pc is important for playing games and running more demanding applications. If you were to upgrade I would get Some more old normal DDR Ram along with a Radeon 9200 upwards to 9800. This will improve performance dramticly. You cannot use the newer cards EG Nvidia ^ and 7 Series as these use PCI-E and most of them support DDR 2 memory which requires a new mother board which would thjen mean you nead a new CPU.

Thanks Hope i helped

* EDIT OF PREVIOUS POST *

' U Cannot use Nvidia Geforce 6 and 7 series as these use PCI-E i reccomend the ATI Radeon 9200 upwards to the 9800 making sure they use the supported format of your motherboard if you give me your motherboard Make and Name i can tell you the supported components.

Thanks

K M A N said:
* EDIT OF PREVIOUS POST *

' U Cannot use Nvidia Geforce 6 and 7 series as these use PCI-E i reccomend the ATI Radeon 9200 upwards to the 9800 making sure they use the supported format of your motherboard if you give me your motherboard Make and Name i can tell you the supported components.

Thanks

Theres geforce 6 and 7 for agp as well, i have an agp 7300gt.

I have an Intel SL66k motherboard. KMAN can you help with advice on a product for this mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom