Boot up problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noEMO

Solid State Member
Okay, so I just built a new computer

BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200 2.2GHz dual core processor. I also have a Seagate 160GB IDE hard drive, a MADDOG CD/DVD burner, and an LG cd/dvd reader. BFG Tech 7600GS video card, and a creative x-fi gamers edition sound card. And Super Talent 1GB RAM.

I've had at least 10 people who are hardcore computer techs look at it and try to fix it but are clueless. (I have no OS installed yet, plan to use Windows XP)

It starts up fine, everything works, everythings detected, the hard drive, cd drives, ram, cpu, everything. But then after it loads up, it goes to a screen that says something like "Boot Up Disk Load:" if there's no CD in it says like "Boot Up Disk Error: Please insert system disk and press enter", so I've tried putting in Windows XP and hitting enter, it starts the windows XP install, then I partition off my HD, it loads the files to my hD, and then it says restarting for step 2 of windows XP install, it restarts and goes to the screen that says "Boot Up Disk: Load" and loads up the first step of the XP install again and wants me to partition the HD and copy files again. So I restart and take out the disk, it goes back tot he "Boot Up Disk Load", so I go into BIOS and put the boot seq as HD, Floppy, CD.

It restarts, goes back to the "Boot Up Disk Load:", and errors because there's no CD in. So even though it's set to last on the boot up seq, it loads first.

So now, I completely unhook the 2 CD drives, take the IDE ribbon and power cables off. Restart it, it comes back up to the "Boot Up Disk Load:".

The jumpers on the back of the drives are set properly, over 10 people have checked that, and the boot seq is set to HD first, people have checked that first.

So since even with the CD drives unhooked, it still goes up to that screen, and won't go to the second portion of the windows install cause it keeps loading from the CD and if the CD's not in, it won't go to the HD.

I'm figuring it's the motherboard.

Now I do have one last thing I think might fix the problem, it says "Insert system disk and press enter", since the windows XP disk doesn't work, maybe it's talking about the motherboard CD? Of course I left that at my girlfriends house and can't get it until later tonight, but even if that doesn't work, I'd like to know if anyone else knows what it could be?

Sorry about the length of this =P

I tried using the motherboard disk, still not working.

But I know the problem is the motherboard, once Biostars horrible customer service is open, I'm going to call.

But still, does anyone have any suggestions?

I got nothing. I would probably try to rma the mobo and see where that gets you. Maybe try out a different hard drive if you can get one.

I tried a different CD drive, still didn't work.
I tried 2 different hard drives with windows already installed to see if it would start up, still didn't work. Finally, after being on Seagate's support page, and looking at the jumper config for their hard drives, I noticed a "Note:"

It said something along the lines of

"Note:Connect the blue connector on the ribbon to the motherboard, the grey connector to the slave, and the black connector to the master."

Which meant the middle ribbon cable which you'd usually use for the master, was going to the slave.

And I was using a ribbon cable with 3 black connectors. I got a ribbon with the blue, gray, black. Connected it in that order, Blue=motherboard, black=slave, gray=slave, black=master.

It booted up, went to the hard drive, installed windows.

God, the smallest of things can cause problems.

Sorry for the hassle and constant posting. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom